"I think that's a wonderful idea," April replied.

And so, time passed as it always does.  Many nights were spent just like the night they arrived from Korea.  Life wasn't perfect but April believed it was as close as anyone could get.  She and Jae happily worked through her pregnancy, her highest paying client being Kenny when he asked her to photograph his wedding.  His bride, Kione, looked like royalty as she walked down the aisle  and true to form, Kenny wept uncontrollably throughout the entire ceremony. 

It was an uncharacteristically warm spring and Jae and April were walking through the cherry blossoms in an attempt to bring on her labor, as she was a few days overdue, when she stopped.

"What is it?" Jae asked.  "Are you alright?"

"I think," April said lifting her skirt to her ankles, "that my water just broke."

"Oh my god," Jae exclaimed.  "Stay here.  I'll go get the car."

Of course, Jae was prepared and always had her labor bag in the car whenever they went anywhere for the past month.  So, April waited on a bench while Jae ran at a full sprint, the few blocks to where they had parked.  When he pulled up to her, she started to get up but he shouted at her in Korean to stay where she was, he would get her. 

She couldn't help but smile, despite the strengthening contractions, because she had made a bet with herself that throughout her labor he'd be shouting in Korean.  He had a tendency to revert to his native language when he was feeling especially passionate.  He rushed her to the hospital and before they could even call anyone to meet them there, SooAe Kim was born. 

While April was recovering Jae stayed by her side the entire time, welcoming guests and shooing them away when she was too tired to visit.  Their parents, who had become good friends, arrived together and took turns holding their granddaughter, looking into the eyes of the future of their families. 

When everyone had gone, April and Jae were talking about whether or not their parents were dating when SooAe started to fuss.

"She's hungry," April said.

Jae immediately jumped up and took the baby from the bassinet next to April's bed.  As she ate, Jae sat back and watched, in awe of April's body, even more so than usual.

"You're amazing," he said.

"No I'm not.  All women can do this."

"Not just because of this.  In every way.  You're amazing.  You've given me so much that I thought I'd never have.  If it wasn't for you coming to Korea with me I never would have developed a relationship with my father.  My mother would have left this world with worry in her heart.  Because of you I have a family again.  I am so thankful and I am so desperately in love with you."

He wasn't saying anything he hadn't said to her before but the look in his eyes was more intense.  She knew this time was different.

"I don't know why I've waited so long to do this.  I guess I didn't want to overwhelm you but when my dad gave me this I knew it was time.  It was my mother's.  He found it in her apartment after we left."

From his pocket, Jae retrieved a ring.  It had two bands and half a dozen small diamonds formed a flower in the center.  It was the most beautiful piece of jewelry April had ever seen.

"I don't know what's going to happen to us in the future," Jae continued, "but I know that whatever happens, I want you by my side.  So, April, will you marry me?"

As much as April wanted to scream yes, she refrained as her sleeping daughter snuggled against her chest.  Instead, with her free arm she reached out to Jae who leaned in close to her.

"Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes," she whispered. 

Jae smiled and kissed her then kissed the head of their child and April exhaled, confident for the first time that she would be loved for the rest of her life.

And she was.  Their wedding was small and intimate, only their parents, Kenny and his wife were in attendance.  Jae had wanted to surprise April by locating SooAe in Korea and flying her out for the ceremony but it took him too long to find her, only making contact a few days before the wedding.  He did, however, surprise her with a video chat that was beneficial for them both.  April could see that SooAe was recovering nicely, her color had returned, her hair cut into a fashionable short style and SooAe had a chance to meet her namesake.  The little girl squealed in delight at the sight of her, startling the baby but she didn't cry.  Instead, she seemed to smile which made everyone watching "aww" in unison.

The following years were full of triumph and tears, gain and loss.  Kenny remained a constant in their lives though often long distance as he and Kione loved to travel.  They never had children because their jet setting lifestyle didn't allow for it but Kenny loved being an uncle to their daughter, spoiling her with everything she wanted.  It didn't take her long to know to ask Kenny for anything her parents deemed too expensive or frivolous.  April would say no just to find whatever it was in SooAe's room a week later. 

Of course, Kenny flew right home when he learned that April's mother had passed away.  Jae's father called them early one morning with the news.  He was going to pick her up for their daily breakfast date and he found her in bed, as beautiful as ever, as though she was sleeping.  SooAe was eleven and took her grandmother's death especially hard.  They had gone shopping together every weekend and during the summer, they would spend weeks together at a time.  SooAe would come back with her nails done, hair done and with ten new outfits.  Mostly, though, she would miss their long talks over ice cream in pajamas on grandma's living room floor. 

"What about grandma's house?" SooAe asked one night as April was putting her to bed.

"I don't know.  I guess we'll sell it."

"No, Mommy, please.  I love it there.  Can't we move in?"

"I'll talk to Daddy about it, ok?"

"Of course," Jae said before April even finished asking the question.

"What?  Really?"

"Yeah, why not.  It's a beautiful house.  SooAe loves it.  It's closer to the office.  There's plenty of room for the photography studio you want to open in the guest house."

"I just don't know.  I mean, she died in that house."

"But it's also where she lived.  It's where the three of you made such beautiful memories."

"I guess you're right."

"Then what's wrong," Jae asked, his hand on April's shoulder.

"I just miss her so much, Jae," she said, letting him embrace her.

"I know, honey."

Though it was difficult for April, they moved a few weeks later.  It didn't take long, however for her to realize they had made the right decision.  SooAe quickly made friends with the neighbors and they made friends with the children's parents.  There were PTA meetings, date nights, bake sales, block parties, prom dress shopping.  Until the time came to take SooAe to college in Philadelphia where she would meet the man who would become her husband. 

Through it all, April and Jae remained as in love as they ever were.  Though time greyed their hair and wrinkled their skin, it did nothing to diminish their feelings for each other.  Every time she looked at him, she saw the dashing man who pushed her against the wall and kissed her with more passion than she'd ever felt.  He saw the beautiful woman who always understood him and cared for him more than anyone else had. 

As summer turned to fall, and they inched closer to their twilight years, they would sit on their porch swing, watching their grandchildren play in the yard with energy that had long since left them or staring into the sky the way they did the night they met and so many nights since and Jae would turn to April and ask:

"We've lived a good life, haven't we?"

"We have," she'd reply, squeezing his hand and resting her head on his shoulder.  "We have."