Chapter Two - The Unforeseen Announcement

Start from the beginning

"Clearly," Grandmother said, her gaze moving from the top of Kaya's head to her toes. Kaya's cheeks warmed. A remnant of the afternoon heat, she told herself. She did not like this feeling of shame. Particularly from a family member.

Grandmother turned to Nivar. "You are early. I was expecting you tomorrow."

"I arrived in Dindur early and had planned to stay there overnight. Until I met Kaya– "

"Lady Kaya," Grandmother said, glaring. "I did not ask for an explanation."

Kaya resisted the urge to see how Nivar was reacting to her grandmother. She kept her eyes on the older woman. She could not see much of her mother in Grandmother Heema. Not the soft smile, the warm eyes, the sense of humor and humility. But this woman was the only family she had left. Her only true ally. Kaya needed to speak with her alone and ask her to dismiss Nivar.

"Grandmother, thank you for welcoming me to your home. I hope to be of support to you and become someone you can rely on," Kaya said. Grandmother nodded. "I would be eager to..." Kaya trailed off when her grandmother raised a hand.

"We will discuss your duties in this home later." Grandmother turned to the man beside her. He was middle-aged and dressed in a white shirt and white veshti with gold trim. "Devan, show them around and bring Kaya to eat in one hour." She turned and walked away.

Kaya stared after her. Maybe Grandmother needed more time to get to know her. This could not be what their relationship would be like. Kaya had not even been able to tell her about Nivar! She looked at him. He was smiling at her. At least Devan was with them now.

"Please follow me," Devan said. Nivar gestured for her to go ahead of him. She nodded but did not smile. There was no need to keep up appearances. She was safe now.

Inside she saw the house had been arranged around a central rectangular courtyard. It was open to the elements and let sunshine enter the rooms. At the outer edge were six pillars to support the upper level. Devan led them to the staircase. "We'll start on the upper floor," he said. Kaya and Nivar followed him.

The upper floor was arranged around the central rectangle of the ground floor, but there were waist-high walls at the edges for safety. Devan pointed out the rooms. "This will be your room," he said, pointing to the room closest to the stairs. The room next to yours is for guests." He gestured to the door in the wall adjacent to hers. "That room is Mistress Heema's bedroom. It is private." Grandmother's room was just across from Kaya's in the opposite wall.

"Can I take a look in my room?" she said, wanting to change the subject. If her grandmother needed her privacy, she would not have to worry. Kaya would respect it. Devan nodded.

Kaya opened the door to her bedroom and jumped back. A woman was in the room, sweeping the floor. "Hello, I'm Kaya. Who are you?"

"Good evening, Kaya," the woman said. "I am Kirat, Mistress Heema's personal maid. I also handle the cleaning, so do let me know if you ever need anything tidied." She smiled. "We're very happy to have you both here." Kaya turned to see Nivar and Devan behind her. "It will be nice to have some young people around."

Kaya smiled at her. "Thank you, Kirat. The room looks wonderful." The bed was made up with colorful cotton sheets, there was a small desk and chair and best of all, two windows in the back of the room. Kaya went towards them and opened the shutters. Unlike the fancy windows in the palace, here the windows did not have glass. Only the beautifully designed wooden shutters that let air in but kept rain and animals out.

"Let us continue. I would like to show you the other areas of the house before dinner." Devan led Kaya and Nivar back down the stairs and took them out the back door. The house was open to the fields.