Chapter one

1927
June
Dorothy's POV

(Italics are when she is writing)

We have been in Brooklyn for about a month, and right now I'm sitting at the park. I really don't want to be here. We have a pool at home so I can swim there, and we have a library so I can read. But my mom wants me to make friends, so I have to be here. I have been here for almost an hour and no one had come to talk with me or ask me to play. If we are being honest I would decline playing with anyone anyway. I know friendship requires two people for it to work, but to be honest I really don't like socializing. I would rather sit in my house and read.

I am interrupted by a voice.

"Hey I'm Steve." The boy said as he sits next to me.

"Hi, I'm Dorothy." I say putting my diary down, and picking up a book.

"What are you reading?" Steve asked.

"The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka." I stated sounding like I know everything.

"Can I see it?" Steve begged.

"Sure." As I hand him the book I realize that he is a very skinny person, like skinner than a lot of girls I knew back in Kansas. He sounded to be at least my age.

"The word don't make sense, why is that?" Steve questioned.

"Oh, that's because it's in German." I state realizing I had forgotten to mention that it was in its original language.

"Cool. So you know German?" Steve wondered

"Yea, I know that and some other languages." I told him.

"That's really cool!" Steve stated looking interested, "What other languages do you know?"

"I know English, German, French, and I am learning Russian right now." I say hold my head high.

"How? You look like you're my age, how did you learn all of that?" Steve questioned

"My mom knows  French and Russian, while my dad knows German and Greek, so they wanted to teach me."

"That's cool-" Steve was interrupted by someone yelling for him.

"Well that's my mom, I better go. I hope to see you soon." He said standing up.

"Yea I hope to see you too Stevie."

Steve chuckled, "I like the nickname. Bye Dottie." He said running away waving.

"Bye." I pull out my diary.

'Dottie?' I chuckle at the thought of the name.

So I was wrong, and I never ever admit when I'm wrong. I made a friend today, and I didn't have to do much work for a friend. He just came over to me and started talking. Steve is a very nice person, you can just tell even thought we only talked for about 10 minutes. Well I think that's all for now, I will write next week.

I close my diary and grab my other books, and walk home.

At home

"Mom, dad I'm home." I yell when I open the door. My mom walks in with and apron on and covered in flour. I start to laugh. She smiled at me and starts to laugh.

"I know I'm covered in flour." She looks down and laughs some more.

"Mom what happened?" I asked.

"Ask your father that." She said.

Soon my dad walks in covered in flour, I start to laugh hysterically. My dad and mom look at each other, then back at me.

"Oh no." I say as I start to run away.

They are chasing me throughout the house until we reach the kitchen then my mom catches me and hugs me covering me with flour. My dad joined seconds later.

"Ok that's enough." I say laughing.

"Ok how about we go out for dinner then?" My mom asked.

"Ok but we all have to clean up."

After cleaning up

We go out to a dinner. And we talk about Brooklyn and how it suits our family? I really don't know, adult talk.

"So dot did you make any friends?" My mom questioned.

"I'm I think so yes."

"Oh good who?" My dad asked.

"His name is Steve. I didn't get his last name."

"Oh so it's a boy." My mom said as she winked at me.

"Mom it's not like that."

"Ok, so what does he look like?" My dad asked nudging my mom. I have noticed that when I meet someone new and I don't know their name, he always asks for a description and then he nudges my mom. It's weird.

"Um he is my age, short , blonde, blue eyes, and very skinny." I say

"Hmm interesting. Well I say we get dessert and then we go home ok" my mom suggests

"YES!!" Me and my dad say at the same time.

When they get home.

I take my dress off and then slip into a night gown. I get into bed with a book and then I hear something from downstairs. I get up to investigate even though that's against everything I do, I want to make sure my parents are ok.

I sneak downstairs and hear more noise from my dads office, the noise turns out to be my mom and dad talking. I can quite hear what they are saying but I can make out a few words.

"Steve Rogers." and "thanks sir."

I run back upstairs to make sure my parents don't see me. I get in bed as fast as I can. Soon, my mom opens my door looks inside smiles and walks away closing the doors behind her.

I open my eyes back up, I assume that the Steve they were talking about was the Steve I met today. My parents are weird.

Words: 946
Please comment and vote.