Chapter 5- Disturbing suprises

Start from the beginning

"I never would have took you as one of those people Lara. I'm ashamed." He joked, shaking his head and looking at me in mock disapproval. I laughed again.

"I'm really not, I hate those jokes. Just sometimes, they fit, you know?"

"Ah... so they fit, huh? Isn't that another 'that's what she said' opportunity?" He wondered, a crooked smile spreading across his features. I couldn't help but sigh a little at how amazing his eyes looked when he smiled. Scared of being caught checking him out, I hastily averted my eyes and focussed on the upcoming door.

"See? You're getting the hang of these jokes now. Soon you'll be a 'that's what she said' pro." I joked, elbowing him in the side playfully. He just smiled down at me and opened the door.

I was immediately hit with a strong and very cold gust of wind. I shivered and my teeth clamped together painfully.

"Geez, its freezing! If I had known we were coming outside I would have rugged up a bit," I grumbled to Peter. He just rolled his eyes and continued down a stone path that leads into the pine trees.

"Quit your complaining and follow me. I want to show you something." I frowned at his thin shirt and the fact that he didn't seem the least bit cold.

"How come you're not cold?" I asked.

"Well, I've been here for a while now and I used to live in Canada for a bit. I guess I'm just used to the cold now." He answered casually, kicking a loose pebble with his shoe.

I nodded in understanding and continued to follow him through the pine tree surrounded path. It was quite pretty, the dark moss growing on the random stone boulders scattered around the forest. The thick trees stopped any sunlight from getting through so the ground was cold and damp.

"Where are we exactly going, Peter? I've seen a movie that starts like this..." I trailed off awkwardly, trying to lighten the uneasy feeling that was growing in the pit of my stomach. Peter just gave me a weird look and chuckled quietly. "It doesn't end well for the poor oblivious girl." I stuttered.

I've always gotten nervous and uneasy when alone with someone when there isn't anybody in sight. Lets just say I made the mistake of watching my dad's horror movie collection when I was only eight...

"I'm just going to show you a cool place I discovered a while ago. It's a surprise so I can't tell you what it is." His eyebrows furrowed "You don't really think I'd kill you...right?" He asked uncertainly, I cringed at the hurt in his voice and immediately felt bad about my thoughts.

"Uh, no?" I came out as a question. Peter's eyebrows furrowed further at my answer so I continued quickly. "I mean, of course not. It was just a joke." I laughed nervously. "Don't worry Lara, I was just mucking around. And I won't kill you if that makes you feel any better." He winked at me.

I was about to reply before we came to a clearing through the trees and my breath caught as I took in the scene in front of me. It was beautiful. I small wooden lodge sat in the middle of a grassy clearing in the pines. Wild flowers grew randomly, scattered across the grass. They ranged in colours, from bright reds and pinks to purples and yellows.

"It's gorgeous!" I cried, bending over to examine a small white flower near my feet.

"I know. I thought you'd like it." He said, watching me closely.

"Like it? I freaking love it!" I walked quickly over to the cabin, hoping not to tread on any of the delicate flowers. Upon closer inspection, the cabin appeared to be quite old. The wood was warn and discoloured in some places but just added to the overall charm of the little house.