Chapter 37: Father and Son

Start from the beginning

He looked at his father, and for the first time, he felt like he understood the older man somewhat. This was probably the most the duke had ever revealed about himself, and he wasn't even sure how to react. "Why are you telling me all of this?" he finally asked.

"You can hate me," his father said. "I'm quite used to it, and I probably deserve it. But I don't enjoy seeing you mistreat Lady Jessica. She's a wonderful girl, and she deserves better."

"Don't I know it," he muttered.

"You push her away. You push everyone away as I pushed you away. No one is allowed close because you're afraid they won't like what they see."

"That's ridiculous." He scoffed, but he knew his father was right. Deep inside he'd always felt he wasn't quite good enough, just like he hadn't been good enough to deserve his father's love and respect.

"I know you think I disapprove of all that you are and everything you do," the older man said. "But that's not entirely true. I know why you do it, and even so, I can see that you're a good man. You just don't want people to know it. After our falling out, you refused to accept money from me, and you've done well for yourself. I'm proud of you."

He could do little more than stare at his father. There had been so many revelations that he barely knew what to think.

The duke stood. "I won't trouble you anymore. But please, Jacob. Don't throw away what you have. Jessica is the best thing that ever happened to you. If you don't let her in, you will lose her, and I don't think you want that. Not if you take a moment to think about it." He sighed. "I've lost someone I loved, and I don't want you to go through that."

He had decided that he would pursue Jessica that morning when Gowthorpe had badgered him about it, but after his father's speech, he felt less like a failure. Maybe he could deserve her. She was still way too good for him, but damn it if he would let that stop him. He could make her happy if he only worked hard enough. Watching as his father made his way across the room, he finally called out when the duke reached to open the door.

"Father?"

"Yes?" The duke turned around to look at him.

"I don't hate you," he said earnestly.

His father smiled briefly and nodded towards him before leaving the room and shutting the door behind him. Jacob stayed in the library, thinking about everything his father had told him. It was a lot to process, but he was glad that they had finally had this conversation. And apparently, both Gowthorpe and his father had seen what he had tried to ignore for so long; that he didn't want to lose Jessica.

They were right. He would be a fool if he let her slip away. If he was any man at all, he would go to Davenhall and he would fight for her. He'd do anything necessary to make her forgive him, and then he would spend the rest of his life making it up to her.

"Dawson!" he yelled.

The butler came in. "You called, my lord?"

"Yes, please have a horse readied for me."

"May I enquire where you are going, my lord?"

"Davenhall," he said. "I'm going to fetch home my wife."

A smile tugged at corners of the butler's mouth, but he remained serious. "Very good, my lord." He cleared his throat. "May I make one suggestion?"

"What, Dawson?" he asked, a little impatiently.

"You may wish to take a bath and change clothes first, my lord."

He chuckled. "You're probably right. My wife may not take me back if I smell like an entire cupboard of liquor."

"Then I shall call for a bath, my lord?"

"Yes, Dawson. And a horse for later."

"Very well." The butler bowed and left the room.

Standing up, Jacob smiled to himself. "You can run, but you can't hide, sweetheart. I'm coming to Davenhall."

~~~~~~