Chapter 15: A Ball at Holcombe Hall

The day of the ball people started arriving at Holcombe Hall already around noon, and Jacob found it easiest to stay as far away from the common areas of the manor as possible, leaving him brooding in his room. While more sociable than his father, he had never truly enjoyed large gatherings of the ton. He found most of them either dull or shallow, sometimes both. The marriage-minded mamas and the tittering young debutantes didn't improve his enjoyment. No, he could certainly think of better ways to spend his time.

Something involving Jessica and a bed sprang to mind, and he quickly pushed the thought away. This whole affair with her was getting out of hand, leaving him unable to sleep at night as his body yearned for her. When he finally slept, he dreamed of her. Dreams in which he did things to her she probably didn't even know were possible. With a groan, he stood and left the room. It wouldn't do to stay holed up all day. Especially not if all he could do was imagine Jessica in all sorts of inappropriate ways. He needed to purge himself of these thoughts. It wouldn't do to fantasise about his friend's sister in this way.  

Walking downstairs, he hoped to escape the guests and go for a ride. Maybe he could visit the pond and have a brisk swim. Hopefully, the water was cool. No, freezing. Freezing was better.

"Jacob!" He groaned as Jessica's voice carried down the hallway to halt him in his steps. Now really wasn't a good time. Turning around, he watched as she descended the last few steps of the stairwell and walked over to him. She looked lovely, dressed in a white dress with blue highlights that matched her cornflower-blue eyes perfectly. Her blonde hair was swept up into a simple knot with a few locks left to frame her face. His fingers itched from wanting to touch her.

"What do you want?" he asked, a little more brusquely than he'd intended.

She gave him a surprised look, not understanding his grim mood, but not reacting to it. She truly was too good for him. "I just wanted to know if you will join us outside. The duke has arranged for some lawn games to keep those who wish occupied."

He snickered. "My father sure has put a lot of effort into this."

"Yes, he has. Are you coming or not?"

"Very well." The words surprised him even more than her. So much for escaping the house.

She nodded, turned around and walked away. He followed a few steps behind, watching her move in front of him. Even such a simple sight made him want to pull her into his arms for a scorching kiss. He'd never noticed before how she possessed a natural grace; it presented itself in the way she walked and moved. Considering all the times he remembered her being downright clumsy in the past, it was not something he'd expected.

"Have many people arrived already?" he asked, trying to steer his thoughts into a more socially acceptable direction.

She turned her head slightly to look at him over her shoulder. "Most, I believe. I think we're only expecting a few more."

"Do you know who has been invited?"

"I imagine everyone." She smiled. "Fortunately, not everyone has accepted, but with the London Season ending and the novelty of a ball at Holcombe Hall, there's been a lot of interest."

They'd reached the back gardens, and the number of people gathered on the extensive lawns was quite a shock. In all his years, he couldn't remember there ever being this many people in residence. His father must have invited half of London, at least. Tables and chairs were set out on the terrace for those who would rather sit and chat than play while several games took place on the lawns. A group of people played Pall Mall, another few were hitting a shuttlecock between them with battledores, and some children tossed rings on a wooden stick set in the ground. Other ladies and gentlemen strolled through the gardens, chatting amiably. There must be more people gathered on the grounds at that moment than had visited the estate during his lifetime.