Chapter 24: Wedding Day

Standing in the front of Bridlewood's quaint old church seemed rather surreal. The vicar looked as old as the building, and as far as Jessica was aware, it was built in the 13th century. While the vicar spoke she couldn't seem to concentrate on a word he said. It seemed so muffled, similar to when you've got a thick blanket over your head and someone is trying to speak to you. Or when you're under the water's surface, drowning. She shook her head slightly, trying to clear it. Surely it was a bad sign to be thinking of blankets and drowning during your wedding.

It was ironic, really. Here she was, standing up before the vicar and her family in Bridlewood's church, about to wed Jacob. How many times had she not pictured this in her mind as a young girl? How many times had she not dreamt of this very moment? And here she was, and all she could think about was blankets and drowning. And how old the vicar was.

She nervously flexed her fingers, clutching a bouquet Angel had put together. Her family sat on the first bench, all looking very emotional and happy. Behind them were some family friends and local families. In the pews on the other side, a few of Jacob's friends from London sat. Olivia was on the front bench, dabbing away tears with a lace handkerchief. But his father was nowhere to be seen.

Glancing to her left, Nathaniel stood tall beside her. He was handsome, her brother, with his dark hair and dark eyes. At the moment his jaw was set, and he looked ready to attack anyone who muttered a wrong word. She couldn't help but wonder if he was there to give her away or to make sure Jacob didn't bolt at the last minute. Probably both.

Taking a deep breath, she tried to concentrate on what the vicar said, but she still couldn't make anything out. It was as if she wasn't really there, but was listening to it all from somewhere far away. If only it were so. Turning her head, she stole a glance at Jacob standing on her right. Dressed in his usual black, but for once with a properly tied cravat and combed hair, he looked almost bored with the entire affair. If she was honest, she probably would have expected him to look more... Well, panic-stricken. For years, he had claimed he would never marry. And here he was, standing up in church, about to be. Shouldn't he at least look a little worried?

But no, he looked as cool and collected as always. Apparently marrying her wasn't more to him than any other boring visit to the church. She tried to ignore the prickling feeling behind her eyes. Now was not the time for self-pity. She had to pull herself together and do this. Prove herself as unaffected as he appeared. He shouldn't be allowed this victory over her.

She heard him repeat the words the vicar asked for and was relieved when she heard herself echo them a few moments later. But when the vicar had him take her hand, she almost ruined her facade of calmness. When his fingers touched hers, the first instinct was to pull back. The mere touch—even through the fabric of their gloves—sent a hot current all the way up her arm. She only just stopped the impulse, but a small gasp escaped past her lips and her eyes flew up to meet his. No longer looking bored, his blue eyes watched her intently, hot and full of dark desire. There was no mistaking that the touch had the same effect on him. Somehow that made her feel better. He didn't hold all the power after all.

Nathaniel cleared his throat behind her, and she realised with a blush that neither she nor Jacob had reacted to the vicar's next words. A ring was brought forward, and it surprised her to see that Jacob had chosen a ring with diamonds and sapphires, the dark blue of the gems similar to that of her eyes. As he carefully threaded the ring onto her finger, she gave him a look of wonder, but he didn't betray a thought, keeping his eyes on the ring as he repeated his vows.

After the ceremony she stared at the ring, wondering if it was a coincidence that he had chosen it or if he'd liked it because of the colour. They held the wedding breakfast at Davenhall with all the guests journeying there after leaving the church, and she was glad to have something to do. When having to talk to people, accept congratulations and best wishes, she had less time to think about the fact that she was now Jessica Hurst, Countess of Wortham. Jacob's wife.