Chapter 17

A week or so passed and Bucky hadn't had a bad episode yet. The mission was tomorrow and the tensions and nerves in Stark Towers were high, especially for Bucky. He hadn't gotten out of bed that morning. Sabrina had noticed, because he was the first thing she always saw when she woke up. She frowned and walked slowly into his room. She saw him curled up on his bed, his eyes wide open. She lay down next to him and stroked his cheek, the same way she always did. Bucky recognised her touch. She stared out of the window as they lay there. "Are you nervous?" She asked him. Bucky nodded. "Me too," she whispered. Bucky watched some birds fly past the window. "What if I mess up? If I guide them through the wrong door or end up getting one of them killed. I've already killed enough people. I don't need to kill anym-" Sabrina leaned over and kissed him. When they separated, she looked deep into his eyes. "You did not kill people. HYDRA killed people through you. And you are more than your past, ok?" Bucky nodded and sighed. Sabrina kissed his cheek and lay back down next to him.

After a while, a meeting was called and they were forced to get up. Sabrina held Bucky's hand tightly as they walked down the stairs to the meeting room. Bucky sighed shakily as they sat down. Sabrina watched the others filter in. Nobody was talking much; everyone was nervous. Once everyone was seated, Tony began to go through the details of the mission. Sabrina glanced over at Bucky every so often. Each time, his face was the same; it was full of conncentration and stress. Sabrina rubbed his hand with her thumb as they listened. "Ok, recap. Bucky and Sabrina will stay in the helicopter and guide the rest of us through mics and cameras. The rest of us will..." Sabrina tuned out after that. She really should have listened, but she just couldn't. Her head was so full of thoughts already, she didn't need anymore. Especially ones that didn't concern her.

When the meeting was over, Sabrina took Bucky's hand. He seemed distant. Sabrina walked with him up to the windowseat her room. He sat down and she sat next to him, her head resting against his chest. The steady rise and fall of his chest calmed her. "Do you want to talk?" She asked, glancing up at him. He stared out of the window and shook his head. Sabrina nodded. Bucky started absentmindedly running his fingers through her hair. Sabrina stared out of the window. They sat there in silence until it was dark. Neither of them could sleep. Bucky lifted Sabrina up and walked into his room. He gently lay her on his bed and lay next to her. "Sing that song," he said quietly. Sabrina looked at him. "What song?" Bucky shrugged. "The one I was singing yesterday?" She asked. He nodded. Sabrina smiled softly. "You're the only person I'll ever sing in front of," she said. Bucky smiled softly as Sabrina began to sing quietly. Bucky began to drift off to sleep. "You'll come back when it's over, no need to say goodbye," she said, kissing Bucky on the cheek. "No need to say goodbye," Bucky said quietly. Sabrina smiled softly and began to fall asleep.