24. Meeting at Hog's Head

Start from the beginning

"You'll catch a cold dressed like this." He grabbed his Quidditch jersey and handed it to you, "Here, wear this."

"Are you sure? My room is just two minutes away—"

"Yes, I want you to have it." You smiled at each other

"Thank you Freddie." You turned to leave his room

"You're welcome, (Y/n/n)." But as you turned around, he slapped your butt making you jump.

"FRED!"

"Shh, everyone else is asleep. Don't want to wake them up now, do we?" You frowned. "Go on then." And with that you left his room, reminiscing what you could from last night's "adventure" with Fred and oh boy, you'll be thinking about it all day.

———

The door of the pub had opened. A thick band of dusty sunlight split the room in two for a moment and then vanished, blocked by the incoming rush of a crowd of people.

First went Neville with Dean and Lavender, who were closely followed by Parvati and Padma Patil with Cho and one of her usually giggling girlfriends; then Katie Bell, Alicia Spinnet, and Angelina Johnson, Colin and Dennis Creevey, Ernie Macmillan, Hannah Abbott, and a Hufflepuff girl with a long plait down her back whose name you did not know; Ginny, followed by Luna holding hands, and bringing up the rear, Fred and George with you, Astrid and Lee, all five of you were carrying large paper bags crammed with Zonko’s merchandise.

The barman had frozen in the act of wiping out a glass with a rag so filthy
it looked as though it had never been washed. Possibly he had never seen his
pub so full.

"Hi," said Fred, reaching the bar first and counting his companions quickly. "Could we have....twenty-six butterbeers, please?"

The barman glared at him for a moment, then, throwing down his rag irritably as though he had been interrupted in something very important, he started passing up dusty butterbeers from under the bar.

"Cheers," said Fred, handing them out. "Cough up, everyone, I haven’t got
enough gold for all of these... Except for you, m'lady." He winked at you before you could even manage to speak. You watched numbly as the large chattering group took their beers from Fred and rummaged in their robes to find coins. You could not imagine what all these people had turned up for until the horrible thought occurred to you
that they might be expecting some kind of speech, at which you saw Harry rounded on Hermione.

In twos and threes the new arrivals settled around Harry, Ron, and Hermione, some looking rather excited, others curious, Luna gazing dreamily into space. When everybody had pulled up a chair, the chatter died out. Every eye was upon Harry.

"Er," said Hermione, her voice slightly higher than usual out of nerves. The group focused its attention on her instead, though eyes continued to dart back regularly to Harry. "Well — er — hi. So, y'all know why we're here. We need a teacher. A proper teacher. One who's had real experience defending themselves against the dark arts."

"Why?" The kid named Ernie McMillan spoke

"Why? Because You-Know-Who's back, you tosspot!" Said Ron angrily.

"So he says." Ernie pointed with his head at Harry.

"So Dumbledore says." Said Hermione

"So Dumbledore says because he says." Said Ernie again. "The point is where is the proof?"

"Potter could tell us more about how Diggory got killed." Said another kid.

Harry stood up "I'm not gonna talk about Cedric, so if that's why you're here might as well clear out now." He turned towards Hermione "C'mon Hermione let's go, they just say that because they think I'm some sort of freak—"