Lesson 21 - First Alliance

Start from the beginning

She continues to stumble as her eyes lose focus, her brain going haywire. Her tail suddenly slaps the ground harshly. "Should I not be surprised that you are unafraid of my white body?"

Zaryusu makes a sound, showing how he doesn't understand.

"From time to time among the Red Eye, an albino such as myself is born. They grow to exhibit an aptitude for some talent-- In my case, that would be priestly powers. For that reason, they end up having authority second only to the chief." She explains.

"As white as the snow blanketing yonder mountains." Zaryusu says, not missing a beat.

"Huh...?!"

Zaryusu's eyes are serious. "It's a pretty color."

Her face only seems to grow more red. "Wh-What are you saying?"

He suddenly places his hand on her neck markings. She goes in to bite him but he dodges by throwing himself backwards.

They each pant and slap their tales against the floor rapidly.

"Wh-Why would you do that without any warning?!"

Zaryusu flinches at her shouting before sitting back on his knees, calming down. "It's love at first sight. Plus, we might be killed in this battle, and I wouldn't want to regret what might have been."

She gasps, becoming serious. "The bearer of that sword, Frost Pain, is prepared to die?"

"Did you see the monster that delivered the message?" The mood has changed from awkward romance to serious, this was not something to joke about.

"Yes."

"That thing produced screams that rattled the mind, and could neutralize just about any attack by non-enchanted weapons. When I encountered it before, I had no choice but to flee." He explains.

"We druids can temporarily imbue swords with magic."

"Can you ward against mental attacks?"

"Most priests can bolster one's resistance. However, when it comes to protecting the mind from confusion, I'm the only one in our tribe who can do so."

Zaryusu takes a moment to think. "What number did it say the Red Eye tribe was?"

"It said we were the fourth."

"I see. So, what are you planning to do?"

She let's out a small sigh, showing that they don't know what they're going to do.

Zaryusu speaks. "I'm going to be straight with you. If the Red Eye tribe evacuates, do you think you can live the same way you do now in some strange location?"

"It would be quite difficult." She admits.

"So then, if all five tribes in the area were to similarly evacuate, what do you think would happen? If we could not find enough food, and our fish that make up our principal diet grew scarce, would all five tribes end up killing each other this time?"

She looks a bit surprised. "You don't mean fighting a battle we may not be able to win would be..."

"Yes. I'm taking into account depopulation, including the other tribes. Crusch Lulu, the Green Claw requests an alliance with the Red Eye. If you refuse, it will become necessary for us to challenge your tribe to battle first."

"To prevent any one tribe from running away without fighting and establishing a numerical superiority in a new land, right?"

"My thinking is that if we form an alliance, then even if we are defeated, the chances of intertribal warfare in a new land are low."