Tip #28: Working on More than One Story

Author: Ink_Scars206

Category: Writing Tips

Should you write more than one book at once?

There's pros and cons to each answer. Maybe you wanna come up with a list. Go on. Off you go. I'll give you a few pros and cons while I'm waiting. Pros: helps with writer's block. Cons: creativity and inspiration is split. Neither has enough.

You've got your list. Maybe the pro list has twenty-eight and the cons have none (or one if you took into account my suggestion). Maybe it's the opposite. Or maybe it's equal.

So what is your answer?

You've got a thousand pros. Obviously, it's yes. You've got 8893001 cons (very specific, Vicky). Obviously, it's no.

No. Both wrong. The answer is and always will be maybe.

The pros and cons don't really matter. Sure, it's helpful. But in the end, whether you succeed or not doesn't depend on a con or a pro; it depends on who you are and how you write. You may have never written before in which case, I'd recommend you focus on one. You may be extremely organized. In that case, maybe you can write two or more. Or maybe you can only write one.

It all depends on you.

So have you decided to write more than one? If it's no, bye! I hope you had a lovely time here. If it's yes, let's keep going. If it's still a maybe, you're all the more welcome to stay. Actually, people who said no, you are also welcome. It might help in the future! And who knows, some of these tips might help you with writing just one novel.

Now that that's out of the way, how do you write 2 or more books at once?

1) Make Word Goals

This is an extremely important one. This one is important whether you have two, or three, or one, or five hundred and seventy-six books. Or even if you're only writing one.

Daily word goals.

Word goals help you focus and they make sure you know how much you have to write today. They make sure you stay motivated. For example, say you're writing your novel... Mystic of the Pies (or something), and you are so bored with this scene. You've been dreading writing it for weeks.

What do you do?

Give up.

Or take Vicky's outstanding advice and check the word count.

You've chosen to check the word count. Congratulations! You've have common sense! (Seriously, though, if you ever consider giving up, that is entirely okay. Everyone feels that way sometimes. In fact, just last week, I was considering giving up writing for good. I'd lost my drive. But thanks to this awesome writing program I was in, I got my motivation back. So if you find yourself wanting to quit, don't hesitate to contact me in PMs. I'll be happy to talk to you about it.)