Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

"Got it."

"How many leads are there in the bag?" Caleb asked.

Pierce looked at him in confusion, unsure what to look for.

"The cords, Hollywood. How many cords are there?"

"Right...uh four or five."

I would have preferred twelve, but five will have to do.

"Bring those over and help me get this dress off." Caleb ordered, lifting Lainey forward so Pierce or James could unzip the back of her dress.

"I gotta take this off okay, baby? You don't even have to move, we'll do all the work." Caleb hummed into Lainey's ear as he sat her up against his chest, giving Pierce access to the zipper of her dress.

He slowly slid Lainey's dress down enough to gain access to her chest. She had on a lace strapless bra that looked like it might get in the way of the electrodes he was trying to place on her skin for the heart monitor.

"I'm gonna try my best to work around this bra, but if I can't it might have to go." Caleb said, warning Lainey and looking directly at James, hoping James understood that Caleb wasn't trying to take advantage of or expose his sister, but that he needed to get those leads placed so he could monitor Lainey's heart to see how bad it was.

"Do what you gotta do man." James said giving Caleb an approving nod.

Caleb carefully placed the electrode dots on Lainey's chest, having to lift up her bra in certain places to get them to stick where he needed them, but ultimately getting them secured in place.

Holding the monitor in his lap, Caleb watched the screen for what felt like an eternity. He slid his finger along the screen as he reviewed the reading, sliding the chart back and forth as he analyzed it and counted in his head.

To his surprise, Lainey clung to consciousness, opening her eyes occasionally, trying hard to focus on Caleb, but she was completely and utterly terrified. She knew just as well as they did how dangerously low her levels were and what that could mean, and she was panicked.

"I need you to slow your breathing down Lainey girl." Caleb said, running one hand down her cheek.

His calming words and soft touches didn't make a difference. She was too amped up and scared to hear him and she was hyperventilating, which wasn't helping her heart rate in the least. In fact it was making it worse.

Caleb set the monitor on the bed and turned his full attention to Lainey, because she needed him. She needed him to make her world quiet and calm and he was going to do everything in his power to make that happen. Having to take control of his own panic and worry, Caleb coached himself, giving himself reminders of what she needed from him. 

Her world is too loud, painful and scary. Slow things down for her, Caleb. Take the scary away so she can relax.

"Lainey, Lainey, Easy baby...easy...look at me." he said in a hushed voice as he stroked her hair.

Her panicked eyes welled with tears as they locked onto his.

"I know you're scared, but I need you to slow your breathing down." he repeated, but her breaths remained heavy and erratic.

"Am I going to die?" She rasped, with a tear rolling down her cheek.

"What? No...You think I'd let you go anywhere without me? I go where you go, remember?" Caleb said, giving her a reassuring smile.

She tried to smile with all of her might, but she couldn't. Her fear was too strong and it was overwhelming her, making it nearly impossible for her to calm down on her own.