Chapter 12 - Radio

Start from the beginning

"Okay, one more call," Jimmy says in a tired voice. "Who do we have on the line?"

"Hi! This is Molly. I always listen to your show. Are you then a man-whore?"

Loud laughter sounds around the studio and Thomas is almost out of breath in here. Abigail and I lean closer to the computer to listen.

"I'm not. Whenever I'm in a relationship, I care about the person very much and I only have love and respect for them."

"Well answered, Jimmy," says Abigail.

"Alright, I guess it's time to wrap up the topic. For anyone who's tuning in, I told a girl who invited me to a threesome that I couldn't do it because I was waiting for my wedding night. A little lie, because I wasn't interested. I'm also not in a relationship right now because I haven't met the right person yet."

"Hey Jimmy, I have an idea," his co-host says. "What about asking female listeners to write us a letter or send us an email if they are interested in going on a date with you? It's easy because the addresses are on our website, and if you include a few photos and tell a bit about yourselves, Jimmy can invite a few of you out. Maybe the right girl will be among them. What do you think about that? ... Jimmy? ... Well, he's either in shock or pissed at me, because in so many years of transmission, this is the first time I have seen him speechless. Let's go to a commercial break and we'll be right back."

"Pissed... Definitely pissed," Abigail shakes her head. "Jimmy never shuts up."

"I think it's a good idea," Thomas says. "He gets to pick someone who is actually interested in him."

"Like you do in that stupid app on your phone?" Abigail snaps at him. "Love is not a contest or a swipe. What if he gets hurt? What if the girl he chooses is only interested in him because of his fame? And the ones he rejects, won't they get their hearts broken too? He better say no to this."

Thomas gives an annoyed look to Abigail and heads to the meeting room. I have a fresh pot of coffee and pastries ready, so that should soothe his irritation. Abigail picks the delivery box and examines the gifts longer than necessary. Probably also to cool off from the exchange with Thomas.

"And we are back with Coffee Time with Jimmy Morgan. Jimmy, our audience is waiting for your response. Will you pick out a few dates if people contact us?"

"Okay," he sighs.

"WHAT?" Abigail shouts at the laptop. "I can't believe he has agreed to do this. You are a moron, Jimmy!"

"Don't get mad at him," I say. "Nowadays, you don't bump into the love of your life on the street. It's just how things are and the reason dating apps, websites and agencies exist. The geographical limits are expanding and people don't fall in love with the girl next door or the cashier at their local supermarket anymore. Let him try this."

"And since when are you a dating expert?"

"I'm not a dating expert, but I try to think openly about the possibilities. What is so wrong about trying luck in love in non-conventional ways?"

"It's not that I'm narrow-minded, but this situation is rising alarms in my head," she picks today's newspaper and scans the front page. "Is it wrong to want to protect my brother? Tell me, do you have a dating profile?"

"No. Do you?" If she's curious, then I'm curious.

"I opened one a year ago to shut up Thomas, but don't use it. Do you date often?"

"Rarely. I've been to a couple of dates in the past year, but they all ended in a handshake at the end of the night. I guess after they find out I'm not made of boyfriend material, there's no need to continue elsewhere."

"What do you mean you are not made of boyfriend material?"

"This is the first job I've ever had where I earn more than minimum wage. I don't have a degree. My studio apartment is on the wrong side of town, and you have seen my car," I laugh a sad laugh. "It doesn't matter that I have traveled the world and have seen more than most people get to see in their lives. Without possessions and status, I'm just a loser to them. You and Thomas saved me from ending homeless, but I have nothing to offer."

"No... Don't..." Abigail puts the newspaper down and walks towards me. She cups my face and kisses me, and I reciprocate what she does. Her lips are soft and lovelier than how I thought they would feel. The soft scent of her skin is comforting as my nose caresses her cheek. I feel disappointment when she takes a step back.

"What just happened?" I whisper as she stares at me, probably surprised that she started it. "Why did you kiss me?"

"To shut you up. I'm really sorry. Overstepped boundaries..." She tries to walk away, but I hold her arm.

"I'm not great at cryptic talk. You don't seem to me like the woman who kisses people randomly. Why to shut me up?"

"Didier, just let me go. I need to prepare for the meeting. I don't know what got into me."

"Are those all the pastries we have?" Thomas comes back in the room while brushing crumbs from his clothes and I let Abigail go. "Otherwise I can go by O'Brien's and pick more."

"So you can jump over the counter again to kiss Marissa?" Abigail says, and Thomas looks flustered.

"She hasn't been at the front counter lately. The other girl ranged my order, so probably Marissa has been in the kitchen then. I also need to check if everything is okay for the order we placed for Friday. Dennis was very emphatic that he wanted pastries from them and no one else."

"I'm sure the order is fine. There's no need to check. Unless you have hidden intentions..."

"Seems that more than one person has hidden intentions," I mumble, earning a glare from Abigail.

I know Dennis and she are trying to play Cupid between Marissa and Thomas, but I also need to know why she kissed me. She said it was to shut me up, but it felt meaningful.

"Think whatever you want. I'm just doing my job," Thomas shrugs and goes back to the meeting room.

"Can you help me get some stuff from my car?" Abigail asks, and I nod.

"We need to talk about what just happened," I stop in front of her once outside.

"I shouldn't have done it. Now I've made things awkward by following an impulse. I don't go around kissing people like that. I understand if you want to talk to Thomas or even file a complaint against me," she avoids my gaze.

"Should I? Because that didn't feel like a power play. It meant something."

Abigail stares at me and the blush on her skin spreads even down her neck. "I'm really sorry if I made you uncomfortable. It won't happen again," she walks past me and continues to her car.

"Who says I don't want it to happen again?" I say as she stands by her car and can't hear me.