5 The Race

Kurapika woke up to the smell of bacon wafting through the air and Leorio's muffled talking. Setting his feet on the floor, the kurta quickly slipped into his clothes and washed up, then padded towards the closed door. Upon opening it, he looked down to see an excited Killua and Gon crawling towards him in sailor suits, squealing with joy to see their other caretaker at last.

Killua smiled up at the blonde as he sat down at his feet and stuck his hands up to him, while Gon crawled not far behind to hug the leg of Kurapika.
Warmth filled the kurta's chest as he bent down, rubbing each boy on the head.

"Yes, I missed you too. Good morning Gon."

"Ah, good morning sleepy bones!" Leorio set plates on table full of eggs, bacon, and some hash browns that made Kurapika's mouth water.

"Good morning Leorio." Kurapika scooped up Killua and kissed his forehead. Killua cooed softly. "I hope I wasn't too long."

"Oh no, not at all." Leorio picked up baby Gon, who had deliberately made his way to Leorio, babbling and panting. "Let's eat!"

The food filled the kurta's stomach to the brim, and also took away his some of his ongoing headache. He fed Killua bits of hash browns, so the baby soon sighed with contentment.

Gon gnawed on Leorio's tie once again. "Aw cmon Gon!" The doctor tried tugging his tie out of the baby's mouth. The spiky haired boy grabbed hold of Leorio's hand instead, and proceeded to gum on the side of his pointer finger, hand gripping his thumb. The brunette sighed and with his other hand dug in his pocket, bringing out a navy blue phone. "I was thinking," he started. "Maybe we could bring them to the festival today. I heard a carnival was coming through town, with elephants and all that kind of stuff." 

He hesitated as Kurapika gently stroked Killua's snowy mane. His blonde friend looked incredibly tired, but the way he looked at Killua was almost... loving.

"I think that would be a great idea." Kurapika looked up across the table at his friend, a gentle smile on his face.

"Okay then." Drool was coming down his hand as Gon relentlessly gnawed. "My phone is out of juice, so maybe we can use your phone."

"FFFUUH." Killua suddenly yelled, startling the blonde.

"What did you just say?" Leorio asked, leaning forward.

"Fuh!" The baby stuck his short arm and pointed at Leorio.

"I think he's trying to say his first word!" Kurapika guessed, looking down at the little being.

"Say it," Leorio encouraged. "You got this Kil!"

The gears turned in the baby's head as he tried to form his lips to speak again.

"Phone."

Kurapika laughed and hugged Killua. "Good boy, Killua." He praised. 

Baby Killua pointed at Leorio again. "Phone."

"Huh? Me?" Leorio pointed to himself. "No, this is a phone." He held up his navy blue phone.

Killua pointed straight at Leorio. "Phone!"

"I'm not a phone!"

"Phone!"

"It's Leorio!"

"PHONE!"

"LEORIO!"

"PHONE PHONE PHONE!" The baby screamed happily, thinking it was a game.

Kurapika couldn't take the spectacle anymore, and threw his head back, a laugh coming from his gut that made Leorio stare in amazement before he too laughed hard.