10|

We were dressed like characters in a western

We were dressed like characters in a western. Both of us had a wall of people behind us—a mix of rough-looking men and women—and, it seemed, an invisible line in the sand between us.

Sebri also had an old house at her back. 

"If that roof wasn't so unstable, she might've had a chance," somebody muttered.

"I don't recall meeting you." One of my hands fell to my holster. "Throw off those rags, assist my memory," I called to her, smirking.

"I don't want demons on my property!" she called back. 

"No demons here, girl, but me. And what ya want is of little consequence to such a thing."

"Mae!" The shouted warning erupted from my side.

Sebri was fast to draw her revolver—I was faster.

It was the end for her and her pathetic group of martyrs. Could've been bloodier. 

"Coin for yer trouble," I said, flicking one toward her boots. Then I called over my shoulder, "Loot the house for what ya can..."

I picked up Sebri's cat, deciding to take her with me. "Ya shouldn't be cleanin' up my mess, now should ya?"

Butt settled in the grass, I used slightly too much force to open the small bag—splitting it in half and showering myself with chips.

As I screeched, Hannah sat down next to me, asking casually, "Has it been a while for you?"

"Actually...yes." I pouted.

I wanted to make out with somebody, but I was surrounded by monkeys.

Or, and this was my suspicion: the monkey was me.

There was the additional fact that I'd woken up laughing my head off this morning, a sick feeling in my gut...and no idea why. 

Throughout the day I'd just sort of...freeze. Often at very inconvenient times. Like right before I was about to zip up my jeans, or when I was asked to stand up in class—or both, one right after the other twenty minutes ago.

The principal's angry steps neared and her voice hissed out, bringing to mind the image of lava hitting water.

"Coach Foley, I do not ever want to repeat myself. Phrases such as 'as useless as a nipple on a scalp' are not to be directed at students." Ms. Howard tapped her shoe menacingly with each quoted word.

"Huh?" Hannah mouthed at me, bewildered.

I didn't even turn around.

"I don't know, I think I got my point across," the coach responded unwisely.