Chapter 4

7 AM. I gotta hurry. I practically jump out of my bed and get into the shower. After showering I brush out my hair, do the 5 minutes of make-up I need and leave with a piece of bread in my hand. 

I arrive at the station at 8 AM and joyfully take a seat. I was going to be at my desk for a while today. Hopefully Colby would join me. That is, if he actually cares to wake up this morning. Knowing him I'd say he just woke up and will be here at 8.12. He usually is.

It was 8.08 when I got disturbed from my deskwork. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see my good friend breathing heavily next to me. I don't know what I expected, but I felt a slight disappointment flow by me. Like I wanted it to be somebody else next to me. 

Whatever. 

Colby looked like he just came out of the shower, his hair clancing from being brushed through, while it still looked messy. He got himself together pretty well, seeing as he just woke up. 

'Morning.' He states with a big breath, as he lets himself fall into his chair, on the desk right before me, facing in my direction. 

'Hey, Cole. Speedrunning your morning routine,  I see?' 'Yeah. I had a date night yesterday. Let her meet the little one at home. They got along alright.'

'Ooh, you mean Jane?'

'Yeah. She's great. I think I can really see us having a future together.'

'That's great, Cole!'

'By the way, maybe you should stop calling your baby sister "little one". She's fourteen, y'know.'

'Yeah yeah. But she's still far away from the world we live in.'

He had a point. I don't think anyone deserved to have to deal with the shit that gets on our path every day, his sister didn't deserve that and definitely wasn't read for it. 

'I should come by sometime again. I actually miss seeing her.'

'Yeah, you definitely should! How about next Sunday?'

 'Sure. Now let's go be funtional, shall we?'

We worked the morning shift and although it was afternoon now already, I hadn't noticed it. I was in the vibe, you could say. I only noticed somebody standing beside me when I heard the automatic voice I could get used to by now. 

 'Goodafternoon officer.' 

I looked up, straight into the eyes of the visitor.

'Hey!' I said, while standing up from my desk.

It appeared Colby had been questionly looking at us for a while now, so I quickly explained. 

'Cole, this is my new friend I met yesterday, this is Colby.' I introduced the two boys. 

'So, what are you doing here?'

'Well, I made an effort to get you home safe yesterday, so now i'm invested in our relationship.'

'Besides, I would have definitely texted instead of showing up here but I don't have your number.'

'Now hold on a damn minute. This gentleman took you home last night and you didn't even give him your number?' Colby asked me, with a lot of exaggeration and a hinting look. Looks like he  went full wingman mode.  

I sighed and put a strand of my long, black hair behind my ear. 

'He might be a gentleman, but he's also a screaming male that gets the cops called on him.' I said, pretending Corpse wasn't even there.