Chapter 1

'What do we got, Colby?' 'Neighbour files noise complaint for screaming male next door. Good luck with that one, Tina.'

I sigh and leave the police department. I get in my car and turn on some underground playlist on Spotify. Since I can't connect my phone with the car, I just put in earbuds.

When I get to the apartment complex, I knock on the door of our noisy troublemaker and put my earbuds away as soon as he opens the door.

The guy looks at me with a sense of fear. He glances over my earbuds and takes a step back. Maybe my music spooked him. I was listening to MGK after all. The song currently on was "Daywalker!".

'Good morning sir. My name is officer Christina Mathers.' I say, while showing him my police ID card. 'I'm with the San Diego Police Department. We got a noise complaint on you from your neighbours next door.' I used my standard cop voice while I studied his face.

I saw marks of cuts and fresh wounds on it. I'd say they were caused by your standard self-harm razor blade. Jeez. This guy had some serious issues.

The guy took a second to think and then grabbed his phone. He opened Google Translate and started typing. 'Sorry, I lost my voice.' The robotic Translate voice said.

'I guess I was pretty loud last night. I get it.'

I observed the guy a bit further and then decided I wanted to take a look in his home. All I could see was a face covered with a face mask. I wanted to know what was behind his door.

'That's fine sir. I would like to take a look into your apartment though.'

'Why?'

'Just to make sure everything's in order Mr.'

I saw the guy beginning to type again when he got a notification from a contact "Syk 🖤".

He read the text, which I couldn't read from my point of view and then started typing again, this time faster.

'I have to go work. Come back with a warrant. Or just don't. I'll pay the bill from the complaint whenever you send it to me.'

I knew he got me there. Inspection wasn't protocol in this case. Most people would just let me in anyway if I asked them to, but this guy knew his rights I guess.

'Okay sir. If you need me to get a warrant I will. Here's your bill. Keep it quiet until I return alright?'

'Right. Later.'

I left the complex and turned my music on again. I finished my job as a policewoman here. It's time to be Tina again.

This guy was tall and pretty pale. It didn't look like he went outside a lot. He had back curly hair and was wearing full black. I couldn't see any bruises or other marks because his skin was mostly covered.

He had veiny hands, his fingers rich with rings and black polished nails. He looked tired and sick, but full of energy in his dark eyes.

I wasn't sure why I wanted to search his house. He looked like he could be on drugs, but I didn't think that was it. Whatever. I could get that warrant anyways. Perks of working for you uncle.

I got in my car and drove directly back to the police department, ignoring a car edging on the speed limit. 

'Hey Cole.' 'Tina! How was the troublemaker?' 'I don't know. He had cuts on his face and an all-black outfit so I wanted to check his apartment out. He told me to come back with a warrant, better yet, don't come back at all.'

'Hmm... You still really feel like you need to check it out?' 'Yes I do.' 'Then you should ask the big boss for a favour.' 'Right. Wish me luck!'

'Hi Tom. If I were to file an affidavit for a search warrant, could you make sure it gets to a judge today?'

'Tina, sweetie. You do know what you're asking me for, right? I mean, I can pass it off later this afternoon, if you have one ready by then, but it will be extremely hard. Are you sure you want to do this? I mean, do you even have a probable cause?'

'Working on it. I think I can get something ready by then. I don't want to have to testify too.'

'Alright. Is that all?'

'Do I have permission to pass off the rest of my shift to Colby to work on this?'

'Sure. Oh, what would you do if you didn't have me?'

'I'd be working at the firm with aunt Lena instead.'

'How dare you? Now get out of my office.'

'Going!'

I walked out of the office with a grin on my face, sent Colby out in the field (he gave me one of those grumpy looks), and then started digging into the guy. Who was he? Who did he live with? Did he have a clean profile? I needed evidence of potential criminal activity if I were to catch this guy. 

2 hours later I had a pretty good document set up, ready to be signed by the judge. I had reports of him from the age of 12, avoiding school and being brought to school by officers every day, to dozens of medical bills and reports, indicating the guy was on a lot of drugs and came in with cuts and bruises at times. 

The guy had reported stalking incidents and had no family around him. This all added up to the fact that I thought the guy was selling drugs, or in a mafia group. 

My warrant was filled with potential items police should look for, including knives, guns, pills, stacks of money, etc. All I could hope for now was to get myself into the search team. 

🖤

🖤

🖤

🖤

Hey hey! Great to see you're reading this story :D

This is my second story, so excuse my bad writing. I've chosen a bit of a police story, so it probably won't be 100% accurate, but I'll try my best, since it's something i'm interested in. 

If you want to support the story and make sure others get to read it as well, add it to your reading list, like this chapter and leave a comment. You get a say in what happens next, so don't forget that!

Every reader makes me happy, so thank you!

-Anne