just friends.

sixteen — just friends

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"try a bit gentler,"

jirou laughed softly, her fingers hovering over y/n's as she strummed the strings of the guitar with the purple chip. a bit too aggressive, but at least her spirit was definitely there. jirou held her hand and moved it for her, "see how it's... lucid? playing an instrument should be freeing. breathable. if it isn't you're doing it wrong."

y/n stopped strumming and looked to jirou, "that's... that was cool," she bit her lip and looked at the guitar again.

jirou raised her brows, "the- the guitar? or my words? or...?"

both. y/n panicked and shook her head quickly, "no, no! sorry! anyways, i think i've got the part down now... maybe. at least some of it."

jirou smiled, sitting beside y/n and taking a few deeps breaths. she shifted the way she sat and said, "okay, try playing some of it," y/n shook with nerves and fear and attempted to steady herself- fingers most of all as she strummed her chip against the strings, other fingers against the frets and pressing against the inlays at the fretboard, coming up with a decent melody.

okay, okay she could do this. she was playing pretty well-

"now i'm burning, burning up," y/n nearly choked when jirou began singing, head whipping in her direction. "feels like, feels like wildfire, fire. i'm burning burning up," it was the song she was singing earlier, she could tell by the melody. jirou went off into a series of hums, no longer saying actual words- it sounded like she was singing what would be the chorus, y/n couldn't tell.

y/n seized her playing to look at the rockstar, "is that a practice song? by who? it's really... nice?"

"by me," jirou laughed, moving to the papers at her desk, "i wrote it recently. like, yesterday recent."

"really? that... doesn't sound like you at all," y/n knitted her brows, setting the instrument to the side. at jirou's silence and stilled moments, she jumped to correct herself, "i mean- it just isn't your typical sound. the alternative, shouting and electric sound... this seems heartfelt. for a specific situation, you know? not that it's a bad thing, it's just... different."

"it's definitely for a certain situation," jirou said, turning around with her phone and slowly walking toward her bed, "do you... like it?"

"of course i do, are you kidding?" y/n squeezed her fingers into her palms. she smiled a little, "i can't wait until you guys release it,"

jirou paused for a moment before laughing, "oh, we won't be releasing that one," she sat beside y/n again with a smile, "it's my song and it's personal... anyways- you ready to make this statement?"

y/n blinked a couple of times before nodding, "ah- sure..." if it was personal... why did she let her hear some of it? was she the only one? it wouldn't ever be released... she shivered, not really knowing how to feel. she felt the urge to ask what the song was about, but it would definitely overstepping.

"here," jirou gave her phone to y/n and grinned, "you can make the statement; humor me! let's see if you'd be capable of holding world fame."

"wh- me? make the statement? no thanks," y/n laughed, holding the phone out for jirou to accept. she didn't and y/n poked her lips out, "i don't know what to say... or how to make a statement at all?"

jirou's gaze at her lasted a moment too long before she smiled, "you're... it's okay. just- just go with what feels right, you know? make it witty and be sarcastic," she winked, then nodded.

y/n sighed, lifting the phone to her eyes, "okay..."

the afternoon was just getting stranger as it played out, y/n decided. she didn't even know if she was shocked by the things being thrown at her anymore. she adjusted the phone and began to type.

"uhm... apparently i have a girlfriend," y/n spoke, unsure, as she typed. "i had no idea. if @ neito monoma is referring to @ y/nl/n, he's clearly pulling things from his ass. though we're soulmates, we're also just friends." y/n finished typing, finger hovering over the tweet button. she turned to jirou with questioning eyes, "good?"

jirou looked like she was contemplating something, playing with her stretched ears, "if... if it sounds right to you." she said, shifting to squint down at the tweet. "if you think it's good like this..."

the sudden mood change was weird and had y/n panicking, biting her lip, "i-i'm sorry, do you not like it? you can change-"

"oh no, i think it's good! it's actually perfect," jirou nodded quickly with a laugh that sounded too forced. her cheeks flushed with a light pink, which confused y/n and she averted her gaze. "it's just... uhm it's- uh..."

"are... you okay?"

"the phrase... 'just friends' feels kind of weird, no?"

oh, god. y/n practically felt her heart shatter. she felt like friends— she felt like friends with all of them since the nigbt of the party. that was pretty friend- like. y/n bit her lip to keep it from trembling, "are... are we not... friends?"

"no, no, we are! we are!" now, jirou was panicking, waving her trembling hands. "it's just..." her brows were drawn and y/n stopped breathing when jirou's fingers caressed the outline of her jaw. it tickled and made her shiver and jirou was close... way too close to just be having a conversation. "you're really cute and... i want to kiss you."

y/n froze, gripping jirou's phone tight, staring back at jirou, unblinkingly. she felt like this was sudden, out of nowhere. it's wasn't like jirou had expressed interest in her that way prior to now... or maybe she had? y/n couldn't think at the moment, instead, she played with jirou's phone case and gave a slow nod.

jirou raised a brow and y/n swallowed, "i- i mean yes- i mean, you can kiss me."

jirou was even closer than before.