Chapter 15: Easter Findings

Elijah PoV

With a long practiced movement, I bind my tie around my neck. Elena chose it for me, making sure the colour of my tie would match the colour of her dress.

The brunch is going to be great, I just know it. Things between my wife and me are better than ever, Jeremy and Tyler have arrived and are still sober and the weather is splendid. Even my mother is in a good mood which is pretty amazing, given the circumstances. This is, after all, the first Easter Brunch she had to plan without Elena in three years.

"How do I look?" a voice asks behind  me. I turn around and see my wife standing in the doorway looking beautiful as always.

"My darling, you're an exquisite beauty." I say. She smiles at me and walks over to me. I lay my hands on her hips and pull her towards me.

She kisses my cheek. "Thank you. And you look dashing as ever."

"Oh, I'm just trying to keep up with my wife." I reply.

She grins. "I see my husband wants to flirt with me. I suspect he's trying to get on my good side so he can disappear into an empty hallway with me during the party."

"You're not wrong, darling. Although I'm not convinced a hallway would be enough for our purposes." I say and tighten my grib on her hips in a teasing manner. She playfully smacks me on the chest and giggles.

The brunch is wonderful, just like I imagined it would be. The hall and the gardens have been decorated with flowers, coloured eggs and garlands. Mother and father are keeping everything going and the rest of us socializes. I see Niklaus with Aurora talking to the mayor. Kol is talking with Jeremy and Henrik seems to be showing his girlfriend around. He and April have been officially dating for three months now. From what I have heard from Rebekah, she is even planning a little surprise party for his 16th birthday. For now, they are holding hands, beaming and exchanging glances, both still a bit shy. It is adorable.

Elena and I enjoy a nice chat with a collegue of mine, Vincent Griffith. He and his wife are currently moving to a new place, just like my Elena and I did. With the difference that there are no controlling parents interfering with Vincent's and Camille's business.

After our little chat, we dance. I watch my wife closely as she smiles while I twirl her around.

"You know, I really love to dance. I always thought it's a shame we only danced when we had to on those parties." she says.

I nod, thinking. "Yes, I believe you have a point. Stabilizing social connections were always the main priority of occasions such as this one. I admit, I enjoyed it, but spending time with my lovely wife should be a priority as well."

I kiss her cheek as she giggles. We dance some more. I enjoy holding her in my arms, swaying with her and hearing the soft sounds of the jazz music.

Later, my Elena and I are talking with mayor Lockwood, her son Tyler and Jeremy Gilbert. The conversation is a very difficult one, because the mayor tries her best not to talk to or even look at my brother-in-law. Although Jeremy really put in a lot of effort to make himself presentable. It appears he has taken a shower earlier this day, he is wearing a clean suit and so far, he has had no alcohol and no drugs today. For his standards, that is huge.

"So, I hear you two moved out?" Tyler asks. He seems to be genuinely curious.

Elena squeezes my hand. "Yes." she says, "And we're glad we did. In our new home, it's a lot easier to relax, since there are no parents around."

Jeremy and I chuckle at those words.

Tyler, however, seems rather tense. "Yeah, you told me about it. You two were focussed on work and didn't get enough privacy here, right? In a way, you were hiding?" he asks, a bit nervous.