Chapter 22

While Lennon and Lyla discussed the new nurse in the kitchen with Gamichee, Adley and Merissa played with Sammy. He was growing fast, Merissa thought he looked bigger than the last time she was here.

Merissa hadn't been around vampire babies or even human babies. She had no idea how fast they grew. All that she had seen was the occasional baby when passing a human on the street. There was nothing to indicate the age of the child or the rate of growth.

Sammy was happy at the moment. Merissa assumed he was happy, he wasn't crying so it was a good indication that all was well. His nappy was clean, he'd been given a bottle and burped and this little man was wide awake. He laid on the bunny rug staring up at the soft toys dangling down at him. Adley squeaked one of the toys, making Sammy smile.

"Do you want to go back to the way that things were? You know, before the babies."

"Nuh."

Adley didn't look up. He just offered his response while making silly faces at Sammy.

"I'm serious Adley. Earlier you were laughing it up when Lennon responded to dad's statement about it."

"So? That doesn't mean I want to go back to it. You might think that it was fun and that it was all that I wanted to do but I can assure you that I do not care. Trust me, I know what I want and I've got it so I'm a very happy werewolf. You need to stop stressing over this."

Adley sat up and pulled Merissa closer.

"Werewolves know how their lives are. We are warned at an early age that once we partner off, children will happen. I told you that I was highly fertile, didn't I?"

Merissa nodded. She knew that none of this was surprising. All that she had was the hope that her pills and the condoms were enough. They weren't.

"Let me make this as clear as I can. From the day that I met you, I wanted nothing more than you. Every moon when I said that I was going off to roll around in a bed of women, that didn't happen and we're not discussing what I really did."

Adley always thought about what life would be like if he could have a bed full of women every full moon but he didn't regret how things were. Living in a fantasy every now and then was okay but it wasn't what he really wanted. With the thoughts over and done with, he would settle and his mind would return to the one that he would always want.

"We're not?"

Her teasing question was met with narrowed eyes. Adley couldn't resist Merissa when she was playful.

"Let's just say it involved a lot of lubricant, tissues and dirty thoughts about you."

Merissa chuckled as she settled in against the lounge next to Adley. They were even closer to each other than before. With one arm laid over the lounge seats, Adley curled Merissa's hair with the other hand. He'd spent a few years wanting to curl the long brown locks into his fingers. His thoughts would turn devious and wonder if she liked to have it pulled when in the middle of sex. He'd be gentle but if it was her thing then he'd happily oblige.

A thought filled Merissa's mind and the smile lessened.

"You've never been with anyone else."

"The risk is high so we were warned to either accept it as it happened or wait for the right person. I met you and decided that I'd play it cool for a few years, see how things worked out. There were a few times when I regretted that decision and had to watch you walk away with someone else. I accept the choices that I make, right or wrong."

Her long fingers trailed over the buttons of Adley's shirt, popping the top one so that she could slide her hand under the material. Warmth exuded as she pressed her hand against the flesh, the hairs on his chest tickling her palm.

"Why didn't you say something? I wouldn't have rejected you."

"I wanted to but the problem is that certain people around here think it's a werewolves nature to always be searching for a playmate."

"Lennon would not care. I actually think he'd tell you to shut up because he wouldn't want to hear it."

"I meant you. It seems like I could say it until I'm blue in the face because you still think that I want to roll around in a bed of women. I can now see that I should not have spent years saying that."

"Oh," She said softly. "Yeah, you should have been honest. I'd prefer a guy that has fewer miles on the odometer."

Adley laughed softly, letting go of the curls to curve his hand under her ear. Merissa's hand shifted out from under the shirt, moving down Adley's stomach to his side as they kissed. It was slow and restrained but perfect for the moment.

"There I was, minding my own business," He whispered against her lips, staring into her eyes. "When this stunning woman fluttered her lashes at me, shot me with her devious smile and I knew that I had a chance. It was a full moon, the risk was the highest it could have been yet she didn't get knocked up. I was amazed and went for round two."

"Not so lucky that time," Merissa whispered.

"Ah, but you're wrong. I do think that luck was on my side that time. It was an incredible end to the night, spending the early hours of the morning giving her endless ecstasy and by the afternoon, I woke up with her in my arms. She had a smile on her face,"

"And a belly full of your babies."

Adley smiled and kissed Merissa again.

"I believe that things happen for a reason. You and I were not meant to be together until this moment but that's okay, we've got eternity and it's going to be one hell of a ride."

With a hum of happiness, Merissa wrapped her arms around Adley's waist and laid her head on his chest. It was a good end to a rough night.