Chapter 19

"I was angry as a child, wasn't I?"

Gamichee nodded reluctantly.

"There were moments when you were angry. You didn't understand what was going on, you just wanted your life to go back to the way that it was. The nurses were used to babies being given to them, not young children. When they complained, I reasoned with them that you were distraught. You'd just lost your parents and were separated from your siblings, thrown into a new world that was scary. We had to buy time and they were just being difficult. After a conversation with Marguerite, we decided that you needed a mother rather than women who were only around for a few hours at a time. It was for safety, I know that you might not see it that way but it was. We wanted to keep you and your siblings together. That's why Marguerite and I discussed it. It was too much of a risk to take in all four of you. Just like it was too much of a risk to expose Lennon."

"But he still has his name? Was I always Merissa?"

Gamichee stared silently for a moment and then carefully shook his head.

"I had every intention of altering Lennon's name while he was at Fielding Hall but someone outed him from the very beginning so that's why his file says one thing but he was told another. Gina's mother was murdered within days of Lennon's arrival so it was a plan that worked easily. Lennon was kept away from the other children while his fate was decided, when Gina arrived they were taken into the group as siblings. The lie was believable, even if they looked nothing alike. As for you, we had the opportunity that we didn't have with Lennon so we went with it. Your siblings were old enough to understand the situation and agreed to remain quiet but you were too young. The anger was mostly that you didn't understand why you couldn't see them, you didn't like your new name."

"I don't remember that."

"Trauma affects everyone differently. You needed stability, Marguerite and I gave that to you. Come, it's best that we leave."

Returning to the car seemed to be a blur for Merissa. It wasn't until the engine started that coherence returned to her.

"What's my real name?"

"Angelica Korden."

"Are you serious?" Adley gasped from the back seat.

Merissa frowned, turning to look at him.

"What's so bad about that?"

"There's nothing bad about it. The Korden family was like super up there in the vampire world. When they died, everyone knew about it, even the werewolves. No one knew what happened to the children, everyone assumed they died in the fire."

"That is the lie that we told to ensure their safety. I ensured that the house remained in all four names, stating that without evidence of death, it should not be sold. The council were not pleased and I think that they believed that you and your siblings were still alive but they accepted it. The Korden family was extremely vocal on vampire socialisation, as were the Websters. Do you see the pattern here, Merissa? The council and certain members wanted to keep the lines between vampires, werewolves and humans extremely obvious with a lot of separation between them. Your parents died because they didn't want to treat the other species with that kind of disrespect."

Adley shifted to the centre seat, leaning forward to get a better view.

"Weren't the Korden's on the council?"

"They were. One of a few turned vampires that were deemed worthy of inclusion. Lennon's parents were on it as well. This is the reason that you, he and your siblings had to be hidden. As children of council members, the eldest was entitled to take their seat upon their passing. Your sister was old enough to hear and be swayed by her parents' belief. She was also aware that the fire was not an accident. It was your sister that saved you and your siblings that night. She did as she was told, took all three of you to the only person that your parents trusted, me. As for Lennon, he's pureblood so his birthright is far deadlier for those who wanted them dead. His birthright is eternal whereas turned vampires are limited to a set number of years before they're expected to pass it onto a family member. Your father was pureblood but you and your siblings are not. That means that if your family were to return to the council, the seat would eventually pass to all of you."

Gamichee slowed by a cemetery, Merissa's heart began to race with fear. She knew what was beyond the fence and she didn't know if taking this path was what she wanted.

"When I said that Karl brought Lennon to me for a conversation and to introduce his newborn son to me, I neglected a small piece of information that I hope you will use wisely. You can tell Lennon if you wish but I ask that you don't. It was a horrible time for vampires in this city and Karl was vocal on the rights and freedom that the council wanted to take away from us. That earned him and Maryanne a painful death."

With a sad sigh, Gamichee looked at his daughter.

"He was delivering Lennon to me because he was already dying. Maryanne was gone, there was blood in their car which was parked at their house. I don't know the details but I'm assuming they were attacked and escaped. Karl was desperate to get his child to someone that he could trust. I was not home at the time. Karl knew how to gain access to the house and left Lennon. He sent me a message, I rushed home to find that he had already left. A note was in Lennon's carrier, all that he could write with the hope that I'd do as he wished. Hide him at all cost."

Merissa could see the sadness on her father's face. He'd done what he could but probably thought it wasn't enough.

"Karl hoped that the council would keep Lennon alive but was worried that they would warp his mind. I think that deep down, he knew that if the council found Lennon, they'd kill him and call an end to the Webster seat at the table. Karl somehow returned to the house. The only reason I can think of is that he wanted to ensure that Lennon was never found. He scratched out that note and then waited. Death found him and someone strung him up next to Maryanne. The things that this council will do to get what they want is insane, much like those within it. That is why I separated from the council. It did not go over well so the entire city was excommunicated from the community. Then the murders started."

Gamichee needed to breathe, a moment to collect his thoughts and keep his emotions in place. Getting out of the car, he waited until Merissa and Adley were out and then locked it. A life of looking over his shoulder ensured that his vehicle was fitted with the latest in security. If that wasn't enough, he'd called for Chad to follow them. He'd remain at the end of the road, watching over the vehicle to ensure that it wasn't tampered with. Of course, Chad would rather he was with Gamichee to protect him but that was not necessary, not when he had a werewolf beside him.