Chapter 20

"The truth is that they're scared of the werewolves. And the humans, in a roundabout kind of way."

Merissa glanced at Gamichee as they walked along the footpath through the cemetery. She'd been here before, this was where Eloise was buried though Merissa was a little lost. The grave would be close, she remembered seeing the fountain in the distance but Merissa just couldn't pin where exactly she was.

"Werewolves are stronger, they are more resilient to the nasty things and they can go out in the sun. We are limited to the time and the height of the sun. Sure we can go out in it but the differences between say you and Adley are vast, don't you agree?"

Merissa nodded quietly.

"The council felt inferior and wanted to avoid associating with them as a species. I recall you said that Lyla mentioned something about Charlton wanting to do away with the werewolves."

Again, she nodded.

"That is exactly what I am talking about. The level of fear within them is dangerously high. Charlton was, of course, the extreme and wanting to exterminate the wolves was just foolish but that just goes to show you the deranged thoughts of those who have power."

"And the murders?"

"Yes," He grumbled. "It was just after the excommunication happened. I'd claimed the city as my own and cut off all association. The council had ended all interactions with me so I was no longer in the loop but it didn't take long for me to figure it out. The vampires in this city rarely fight among themselves but it happens, so the occasional murder is not unheard of. It was the way that these vampires were murdered that made them stand out. The average vampire fight is usually done with fists, biting and every now and then, we see a shoot out. These other vampires, they were hung up for the sun to find them."

Gamichee stopped on the path, turning to Merissa.

"There are two things to note about a death like that. One, it is extremely painful for the vampire and quite a drawn out process. Death would not come quickly for them. Two, they were premeditated. After all, what vampire walks around this city with enough rope to hang a vampire from a tree? Sometimes there would be a few on the branch."

Merissa was stunned, feeling her stomach turn at the thought of such a terrible death. She looked at Adley, he gave a sympathetic smile as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder. They continued down the path, entering the vampire section of the cemetery.

"When the first death was reported, I sent a citywide declaration out to all the vampires about what had happened and to be vigilant. When the second happened, I told them I was closing the borders and advising against unnecessary travel. I told them why, I said that someone was hunting the vampires in this city and that we could not trust anyone, not even our own. More deaths happened and I snapped. It was the day that I rang Saskia and begged for help and it was the day that I became this vampire. Some would see me as a monster and I accept that. Many lives have been saved because I took away the freedom and controlled the streets. I did not willingly go into this life, I was pushed. Like many who you see here. I am like these vampires who have died because of fear, because the council wanted to control everyone and everything. The only difference between them and me is that the council didn't kill me, they just destroyed my world."

Gamichee stopped in front of two graves.

"Yours too."

Merissa turned to look at the two headstones, feeling nothing within herself. She wanted to cry or at least understand why she couldn't. There were no emotions within her, nothing that would alter the mood.

The headstones were unkempt but the grass had been mowed. It looked like standard maintenance for all of them. She walked further along, seeing two headstones with a familiar surname. Merissa wondered if Lennon knew that his parents were buried here. Merissa looked at Adley with sadness. It felt odd to her that she could feel pain for Lennon's loss rather than her own.

"These are the graves of those who have left a child behind. Those that you knew in your few weeks at Fielding Hall, they have parents here. In time, they will come here like you have tonight, they will learn the truth but that cannot happen unless it is safe for them to do so. All that we have is one small team caring for the land, paying their respects on behalf of those who cannot. Your parents, Lennon's parents, me, we all wanted a world of peace and unity but the council wants to be the dominant creature. They don't want anyone to know that they've realised the vampires are not the top predator."

"As if we don't know that." Adley scoffed. "No one cares. Vampires need to chill, the werewolves aren't interested so long as they've got food. We're not idiots either, that's why we farm cattle."

"I am so glad to hear that."

The three of them turned to the new voice that was on the path behind them. In his hand was a gun pointed directly at them.