Suddenly Chapter 27

Chapter Twenty Seven

On One Knee

Over these past two years as a couple we had been to all sorts of dates, ranging from a quiet dinner setting under the starlit canvas of the charming restaurant to the robust hills of a popular hiking trail. It had been an adventure with her, we laughed in massive quantities and we never took anything at heart. Perhaps that was the reason we had lasted this long without any hiccups.

I had purchased an engagement ring and I was setting in motion a ploy to propose to her in the most romantic and unexpected way. I remembered our very first proper date...

Excluding the first two attempts where I fell prey to a few unforeseen impediments

...we had gone to a restaurant on the dock of the bay on a warm summer evening. The moon glimmered on the surface of the water, the luminosity of the swaying candlelight settled on her face, she was angelic. I wanted to recreate the emotions and sensuality of that night with a bit more allure.

I couldn't do it alone; I needed a posse to help get everything to flow perfectly. Planning was crucial, I wanted to make a memory that she would never forget. I wanted to make her feel special.

Her mum was a tough nut to crack; she had never allowed me to be alone with Havana over a long period of time. Our dates were always from the afternoon to nine at night latest. This was different though, I needed her to play the game in order for me to orchestrate my plan of action. I needed her approval and blessing, after a few minutes with her she was in on the scheme of things and gave me her deepest blessings.

I decided to book us away for a day out on the mountains, a nature trail, a romantic dinner and an intimate bungalow.... if we were to stay the night.

It was a few days away so I was building up the anticipation and excitement, getting the right clothes for the snowy mountains and making sure we have everything we needed for all the activities of the day.

I was super adventurous and so was Havana, we'd been on adrenaline gushing trips and activities before so we knew what we were in for. She was expecting another exciting experience and I couldn't disappoint.

Our luggage was filled with warm coats, scarves and hiking gear. I began to complain a week earlier about my left knee, an old football injury that was acting up with the cold winter weather.

In my suitcase between my warm jackets and winter socks I had hidden away the platinum diamond ring that I had gotten her, the ring that signified so much more than just jewelry. This ring was the definition of who I had become as a man, against all odds and against the perception of who I was to BE, to her I was worth discarding and someone that she couldn't see as a man but to Havana I was everything she had wanted as a man. This ring was my way of telling her I appreciate her and everything she's been to me. This was a massive step for me and a huge milestone. I had reached heights which I was told I could never reach. With this ring, I would promise her a forever.

The nervousness was intensifying as the day neared, as the moment of truth closed in on me, the pressure of getting everything perfect was on my shoulders. I've always considered myself to be somewhat romantic and I did enjoy the gratification of seeing my girl smile or express happiness when I displayed an act of romance in her honor. I got on my knees and asked God to play His part and let everything work our smooth.

Stuck in two worlds I had to leave one behind, not just momentarily but for a lifetime. In one world everything that spun around the memory of BE had now to be a thing of the distant past. Once I propose to Havana there can be no more BE, but it was easier said than done. Perhaps once I take this leap, this gigantic step, all would be forgotten, all my hopes, dreams and conceptions of being with BE would somehow fade away.