Chapter 20: Drunk people

Domestic.

That's how Chaeyoung liked to describe how it was being in her room with Mina. She was still feeling delusional and it was frustrating sometimes, but not most of the time. Most of the time she just gave up trying to make sense of things that were out of her control and just have a great time with her roommate. There were many questionable things. Like a lot. But she was happy lying to herself, and Mina seemed happy too. It was like the both of them had agreed to be part of this little reality that only they knew and understood. When it was just the two of them, no one else mattered, they were in their own world.  It was scary, because Chaeyoung had never felt anything like this, but that was one of the reasons why she just couldn't ask Mina about what they were doing, she didn't want to lose it all, it could all go wrong and she'd rather keep living this fever dream than having to face reality.

The day of the party she woke up like she had been waking up the past few days, with Mina really close to her. She smiled at the view, it was impossible not to. She moved away slowly to not wake her up, Chaeyoung was going to be busy the whole day helping Nayeon with everything, that's why she had woken up early on a Saturday. 'I'm such a good friend' She was on her side of the bed now ready to get up when Mina pulled from her hand.

"Why?" Mina said in a low raspy voice. Chaeyoung really loved Mina's morning voice. She turned to look at the girl, Mina still had her eyes closed.

"I need to go help with the party," Chaeyoung explained removing strands of Mina's hair that were falling on her face. She didn't think twice before doing it, it was just so easy now.

"Why?" Mina insisted like a kid. Chaeyoung laughed internally at her.

"'Cause I'm a good friend."

"Don't be one." Chaeyoung now liked clingy Mina, it was just so cute. But she couldn't stay, not even if Mina's voice was making her feel things.

"I'll see you tonight," she tried and turned again to leave.

"That's different." 'different? why would it be different?'

"How so?" Chaeyoung asked but Mina didn't answer, she just sat on the bed getting closer to Chaeyoung, and hugged her from behind.

"There will be people," Mina whispered supporting her head on Chaeyoung's back.

"What's with the people?" Chaeyoung was not understanding. Mina took a while before answering.

"I like it when it's just the two of us." There was something in Mina's quiet voice that made Chaeyoung feel a tingling sensation, the words were cute in a way, but they implied that Mina didn't want to be around other people and with her at the same time, that didn't feel right.

"So you will ignore me?" Chaeyoung asked a bit afraid of Mina's answer.

"No," Mina answered calmly. "It's just different," she said.

"I don't understand."

"I just..." Mina spoke slowly. "I like it here." Chaeyoung in a way understood what Mina was saying but it made her feel bad, it reminded her that it was all a big fantasy, it was only real inside their room and her head. Chaeyoung didn't know what to say but Mina kept talking, "just don't go yet." It was the second time Mina had asked Chaeyoung to stay after waking up, it was not getting any easier. Chaeyoung set herself free from Mina's hold and went back to her original position in the bed, next to her. But this time Chaeyoung didn't hold Mina, she went straight to Mina's arm, so she could be held. She was feeling small, she didn't want to think about what Mina had just said, it was breaking her heart, so she stayed, trying to understand Mina's intentions. The girl received Chaeyoung like it was the most natural thing in the world like she had been doing it for a long time. It was funny how safe she felt in her embrace when Mina was the same reason she was feeling like this. They stayed in silence, Mina was focused on caressing Chaeyoung's hair and Chaeyoung was focused in ignoring her scary thoughts by just paying attention to Mina's steady breathing. It was so surreal, but it was their thing, their bubble that felt so safe but could be broken so easily. Where nothing else mattered and time was non-existent.