Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Talk to her about your job, not the specifics, but what it means to be in a relationship with someone who does what we do. That there will always be a level of secrecy, but explain that it's not malicious, it's just part of who we are and what we do. She probably would have understood that if you would have explained it to her from the beginning. And what makes you think she wouldn't have followed you if you'd have been sent home? You didn't even talk to her, brother. You just lied to save your own ass and look where it got you." Pierce added.

With his hindsight 20/20 Caleb realized his severe misstep. He should have been honest with his team about his emotional compromise from the beginning. Loving Lainey clouded his judgement and he made the mistake of lying to his brothers, including Hunter, out of desperation. He should have told Lainey that he wanted to pursue something with her and explained that his job required secrecy that wasn't meant to hurt her, but would always be a part of his job as long as he worked at knight.

He knew what he had to do, but he didn't know how to earn her forgiveness. Lainey wouldn't even look at him let alone speak to him. She didn't want to hear his explanations or apologies and wanted to be as far away from him as possible.

"But she won't let me near her right now."

"I'll try to help with that." James offered.

"Give her space tonight. She'll shut you out emotionally, but she won't be hysterical or make a scene here. I guarantee she won't want dad to pick up it, so she'll let you near her physically, just not emotionally. I'll work on the emotional barriers when we get home and she doesn't have to wear that damn mask she's always got on in front of these people."

Caleb nodded and was grateful to have James in his corner again. James was one of the only people that Lainey trusted and if he could get Lainey to just listen to him, there was at least a little hope.

Lainey stayed out on the terrace for a good thirty minutes before gracefully walking back into the dining room. Her face was void of emotion and her armor was on, but she locked eyes with her father from across the room and had to pretend that everything was okay.

She walked toward James and stood at his side keeping her facial expressions in check. Caleb watched James lean down and start whispering into Lainey's ear. He couldn't hear what James was saying, but Lainey's eyes shot up toward Caleb and bounced up and down from Caleb's head, down to his feet, then back again as if she were sizing him up. She kept her eyes glued to him as James spoke into her ear and the longer James spoke, the softer Lainey's gaze became.

I don't know what you're saying man, but keep it up.

When James finally pulled away from Lainey's ear, he shot Caleb a wink and headed toward the bar with Pierce.

Lainey kept her gaze straight ahead, refusing to look at or acknowledge Caleb in any way as he took a step toward her.

"I don't want to talk about this here." she said flatly without looking at him.

She's talking to me.

"I respect that." he said, trying to conceal his excitement that she was speaking to him.

"But you do want to talk about it eventually?" He knew he was pushing it, but he wanted to know if she was even open to future conversation.

"Maybe." her response was cold, but Caleb was ecstatic.

Maybe. I can work with a maybe. Hell I can move mountains with a maybe.

As the night went on Lainey didn't speak to Caleb unless she had to and allowed him to be near her, but didn't allow him to make any physical contact. When he had tried to rest his hand on the small of her back as she made her rounds through the room, she had instantly pulled away and he was hating every second of their new dynamic. She was cold and distant, an empty shell of the Lainey he loved and it was all his fault.