"Let's just go to lunch for now. We can talk about this later. I can hear your guys' stomach growling from miles away." You said making your way to the exit of the common room.

"Dumbledore didn’t even mention how long that Grubbly-Plank woman’s staying," he said, as you made your way across to the Gryffindor table.

"Maybe..." You said thoughtfully.

"What?" said the twins together.

"Well...maybe he didn’t want to draw attention to Hagrid not being here."

"What d’you mean, draw attention to it?" said Lee, half laughing. "How could we not notice?"

Before you could answer, a tall black girl with long, braided hair had marched up to the twins.

"Hi, Angelina." You all said.

"Hi," she said briskly, "good summer?" And without waiting for an answer, "Listen, I’ve been made Gryffindor Quidditch Captain."

"Nice! Hopefully your ted talks won't be as long as Wood's." Said Fred grinning.

"Yeah, well, we need a new Keeper now Oliver’s left. Tryouts are on Friday at five o’clock and I want the whole team there, all right? Then we can see how the new person’ll fit in."

"Okay," said George, and she smiled at him and departed.

Dinner in the Great Hall that night was not a pleasant experience for both you and Harry. The news about your shouting match with Umbridge seemed to have traveled exceptionally fast even by Hogwarts standards. You could hear whispers all around you as you sat eating between the twins. The funny thing was that none of the whisperers seemed to mind you overhearing what they were saying about you — on the contrary, it was as though they were hoping you would get angry and start shouting again, so that they could hear your story firsthand.

"(Y/n). (Y/n)?" Fred waved a hand in front of your face.

"What?" You said, taken out of your trance.

"We're thinking of hosting this year's Halloween party. You want to help?"

"Yeah, sure. Just tell me what to bring and I'll make sure to bring it as soon as possible." You smiled at each other and continued with your food and your conversation.

———

Rain pounded on the windowpanes as you strode along the empty corridors
back to Gryffindor Tower. You felt as though his first day had lasted a week,
but you still had a mountain of homework to do before bed. A dull pounding pain was developing over your right eye. You glanced out of a rain-washed window at the dark grounds as they turned into the Fat Lady’s corridor. There was still no light in Hagrid’s cabin.

The common room was almost empty; nearly everyone was still down at
dinner. You took your favorite chair kind of close to the twins and Lee. Trying to do your homework

You could feel Hermione squinting over into the far corner of the room, where Fred, George, and Lee were now sitting at the center of a knot of innocent-looking first years, all of whom were chewing something that seemed to have come out of a large paper bag that Fred was holding.

"No, I’m sorry, they’ve gone too far!" You heard Hermione say, standing up and looking positively furious.

One by one, as though hit over the heads with invisible mallets, the first years were slumping unconscious in their seats; some slid right onto the floor,
others merely hung over the arms of their chairs, their tongues lolling out.
Most of the people watching were laughing, as well as you; Hermione, however, squared her shoulders and marched directly over to where Fred and George now stood with clipboards, closely observing the unconscious first years. Ron rose halfway out of his chair, hovered uncertainly for a moment or two, then muttered something to Harry, before sinking as low in his chair as his lanky frame permitted.