Defying Destiny

Title: Merlin And Arthur One Shots-Diamond of the Day Alternate Ending
Rating: PG-13 for minimal language
Dedicated to: anarose2002 for all of her support in all of my books and this is for the one-shot contest.
Reveal One Shot
Plot Line:Merlin reaches Arthur just in time, in his young form, just as Mordred is about to stab him.

______________________________________________________

Merlin POV

Clang. Slash. Boom. These three sounds, over and over, ringing in the heads of every single warrior fighting on the battlefield.

Metal against metal. Man against man. Sorcerer agains sorcerer. Sword against sword.

I stand on the ledge overlooking Camlann, keeping a close eye out for Arthur. He has taken down the most Saxons it seems, him being the king after all. Still, he couldn't have done it without my help.

A new sound enters my ears though, distant, like it's far away. A woman's scream, I realize. Morgana.

"Emrys!" She shrieks, and I turn to face her, determination written on my features. My hands tightly grasp the staff, taken from the She themselves, white hair whipping in the wind, eyes as fiery as the flames of ember, and she is instantly thrown from the cliff in which she perched. A sickening thump alerts me that she too is unconscious among the pile of dead.

I turn my attention back to Arthur, only to realize the battle is already won. The Saxons are in the midst of fleeing, their greatest weapon lying seemingly dead on the hard ground.

By the time the sun sets, the battlefield is practically a graveyard. Had previously reverted back to my younger form, making it easier to search for Arthur. I spot him, kneeling beside an injured knight, there is no doubt he will be dead within the next few minutes. The Warriors hand falls from his shoulder, falling limply to the ground. Arthur bows his head, my guess being he is ashamed that he let so many of his faithful followers die.

He stays down like that, kneeling, eyes closed, not bearing to look into the eyes of his fallen comrade. I let my defenses down, positive it's just me and him, although Arthur doesn't know I'm here. A flash of light. A glint of a sword. I see Mordred stalking up to Arthur, weapon raised to strike. Whether by chance or fate, Arthur suddenly turns away, barely parrying the attack.

They continue to battle and I run over, though neither notices me. Mordred uses magic to disarm him and is about to go for the strike when I interfere, throwing all of my weight into a counter strike, blocking his sword from hitting Arthur.

_______________________

Arthur POV

"Merlin?!" I ask in shock. Merlin is supposed to be "running errands for Gaius", although I secretly thought that he was running. But what is he doing here?!

"Emrys." Mordred sneers back at him, casting an evil expression. He,can one go from being so innocent, to being so hateful? And why did he call Merlin, Emrys? "How did you escape?!"

"Let him go, Mordred. This is not Arthurs fight. It's mine."

"Merlin. What are you-"

"Enough!" Mordred yells. "It may not be Arthur's fight, but it is his death. I have no idea how you managed to escape your little prison, but I intend to end your miserable life one way or another. Arthur will stay and watch as you bleed to death in the very ground that you sought to protect." Mordred flings his hand in my direction, eyes burning a fiery gold as he incants a spell out loud, binding me in chains that attach themselves to the rock wall behind me.