A Twist in the Tale

If someone had told me but 10 minutes ago that Arthur Pendragon had magic, I would laugh it off in their faces. I'd cheerfully thank them for for the humor, my day hadn't started off that well anyway, all the while thinking about how big of a nutcase they were. Now though, I'd have to seriously reconsider that thought process:

Arthur's hands were bound behind him with sturdy rope, having been manhandled and forced to his knees in front of Uther. His eyes were focused on the ground as the King of Camelot looked him up and down in disgust. Every happy memory between father and son seemed to have been forgotten as he looked down at the man he once considered to be his most loyal follower, but apparently he was wrong.

"My own son." Hate radiated off his features as Arthur became subject to his wrath. The silence of the Hall was deafening while everyone feared they too would be outed. "A sorcerer. A magic user. The very product of the thing I have sought to rid if these past twenty years. Have you learned nothing from the misery and devastation magic has brought to this kingdom?"

Arthur didn't answer, just stared blankly at the ground. A quick jab in the gut from Uther as he kneed him changed that. He gasped and turned pain-filled eyes to his King, but didn't dare to speak. "How long, Arthur? How long have you been betraying me?"

"I never...betrayed you...father. I just...have my own opinions." Arthur seemed to be gasping for breath, and only just got the last part out.

"How long?" Uther gritted out. It was easy to tell to all who knew him that he was upset at his son's supposed betrayal. You couldn't really blame him though, he spent his entire life trying to rid the world of what his son was.

"Since I was born." I stifled a gasp. A few eyes turned to me and Gaius elbowed me in the stomach at my outburst. Could it really be? Can there really be someone just like me?

"Liar. Tell me the truth!" Uther roared at him. He slapped Arthur in the face and one of his rings left a trickle of blood flowing down his face. His grin was menacing, as one could only make when they have truly lost.

"Sire, maybe-" Gaius had started to protest, maybe he could convince the insane King that his son wasn't really a sorcerer, but Uther cut him off. "Silence!" He screeched and his voice seemed to echo around the silent room, making him all the more terrifying. "This sorcerer can take his secrets to his grave. May he rot in the dungeons forever."

That's when Arthur truly grew anxious. "Father, please!" He yelled out. The guards had taken side of either of his arms and had started to drag him from the room. "I've only ever used my magic for good! You have to listen! Father, please!" Uther had kept his eyes on him the entire conversation and only broke the contact at this moment, as he stiffly turned to sit back on his throne. But when the word "Father" escaped Arthur's lips he stood up again and spoke in a cold, hard tone. "You are no son of mine." Arthur's eyes widened in surprise before horror settled on his features. That was the last I saw of Arthur Pendragon for the time as he was dragged to the dungeons.

"And may this be a lesson to you all! Sorcery is a crime justifiably punishable by death." Anger clouded my vision and I involuntarily clenched and unclenched my fists at "justified." "I honor the man I thought I knew by not condemning him to execution. He will not die, I promise you that, but that is all I will do for a monster such as him." Monster. He's the monster here, not Arthur. Condemning his only son to a life of solitude and loneliness for the rest of his life just because he has magic. There is no worse betrayal.

Gaius nudges me on the shoulder before whispering to me quietly, "You need to go see Arthur." I nod to him before slipping out the Hall door. The last thing I see is Uther slumped in his chair, head in his hands.