Chapter 45

Sophie

Everything was coming together, but they still had some problems.

The Neverseen was down, but melders wouldn't hold them down forever.

"Do they know Ruy's an Enhancer?" Sophie blurted out.

"No, they shouldn't. I think it was just chance," Keefe said.

Sophie had just realized Ruy was unconscious like the others.

"What happened to him?" Sophie asked.

"Fainted from either pain or shock," Bronte answered.

"I don't think we can put Obsidian in a normal cell, knowing what she can do," Fernan concluded.

Everyone nodded in agreement, except Elwin. He just looked confused.

"Who's this Obsidian person?" Elwin asked, "And what on earth happened to Ruy?"

"Obsidian is a powerful Fluctuator that can evaporate people," Sophie summarized.

Elwin shook his head in disbelief.

"So should we get them to the Healing Center?" Keefe asked, changing the subject. Thank goodness.

"Yeah," Elwin sighed.

He glittered away with Stina and Ruy to the Healing Center.

"They're really targeting Ruy now, aren't they?" Maruca asked.

"Why?" Wylie asked.

"Probably because he's a Councillor," Keefe pointed out.

"Hmm," Sophie said.

"What?" Keefe asked.

"I was just thinking. If they are targeting Ruy then we have to prepare."

"What do you mean, we already prepare, but what's the use? It never works," Keefe sighed.

"I meant we need to find a way-wait. Stina was at Havenfield with us, right?"

"Yes..." Maruca, Wylie, and Keefe said.

"What happened to Biana, Dex, and Edaline?" Sophie's eyes bugged out.

"I-I don't know," Wylie stuttered.

The four of them leaped away so quickly they didn't even have the chance to say goodbye to Bronte or Fernan.

When they got to Havenfield they saw Grady, he looked bewildered.

"Is everything okay?" Sophie asked.

"These two figures took Edaline, Dex, and Biana. I tried to stop them, but they were too quick. One of them was a Mesmer and mesmered me to go away, and I had to. The other one looked like Alina," Grady answered.

"A Mesmer?" Keefe asked.

Grady nodded.

Wylie, Sophie, Keefe, and Maruca shared a look.

"Oh great, now we have a Mesmer to deal with," Sophie said, rolling her eyes.

"Guys, first things first we've got to save Biana, Dex, and Edaline," Wylie said.

"Wait, I don't think that's a good idea. We should probably talk to Mr. Forkle about what's going on," Keefe suggested.

Sophie looked at him with disbelief. "You of all people want to tell Mr. Forkle. He won't do anything about it."

"I know, but Stina's unconscious. We captured Obsidian and my mom. Biana, Dex, and Edaline were captured by the Neverseen. It turns out the Neverseen has another member that happens to be a Mesmer. And, um, Ruy has supposedly lost his hands. Which is a big problem." Keefe said.