"Did he call for the other girl? His other fiancée?" I summoned the courage to ask and Tosin took my hand in hers before speaking.

"It's worse than that, Tiara." She gave a sigh. "According to the doctors, Derrek suffered a traumatic brain injury due to the accident and now—I'm sorry, Tia but Derrek has retrograde amnesia."

"What?" I practically screamed. Of all the things I expected to hear, this wasn't one of them.

"He can't remember the last year of his life. He doesn't remember moving to Nigeria and he doesn't remember meeting you or getting engaged." I felt like an arrow shot through my heart as Tosin said this. Derrek couldn't remember me. I'd been wiped off his memory and I couldn't help but think that it was for the best after the initial shock I had experienced.

If Derrek and I hadn't met that night, none of this would have played out the way it had and in its very messed up way, I think the universe gave Derrek and I a second chance to live our lives the way we were supposed to. We had a do over. I had wanted this after all, hadn't I?

A sob escaped from my lips, then, another followed and soon, I was bawling my eyes out onto Tosin's shoulder. I didn't want a do over. Even though our whole engagement was a scam, I really cared about Derrek. I couldn't go on without him in my life, like nothing had happened. He was a part of my life now and I wanted to keep it that way, even if it meant dragging this scam of an engagement longer than we both had anticipated. I didn't want to let go of him.

"I need to see him, please." I said, lifting my head off Tosin's shoulders.

"I don't think that's such a good idea."

"Please, I just—I really need to see him or I'll loose my mind." I sobbed. I needed to see Derrek even if I had to glance at him from the door. I couldn't leave without doing at least that.

With a sigh, Tosin led me out of the waiting room and towards Derrek's room. I stopped by the door and she excused herself to find Alex but not before instructing me to not try to juggle his memories. The doctor had instructed everyone not to attempt to remind him of his lost memories, not until all the tests had been conducted in order not to cause further complications. They were still monitoring his injuries and over thinking could have caused some serious damage to his brain at this stage.

I leaned on the door frame and glanced at Derrek's still form. He seemed to be asleep and he looked so peaceful. He had multiple scratches, cuts and bruises on his face and arms as well as an arm sling and a leg cast but he still looked peaceful. I had hoped he was awake just to see if somehow he could've recognized me with one glance but I was only kidding myself. I looked up to the ceiling and bit on my lower lip to stop myself from crying again but it didn't seem to work. I needed to get out of here before I woke Derrek up with my crying. I had seen him like I wanted, that was enough and I couldn't be greedy at this point. Derrek's health was more important than my feelings right now besides he was bound to recall his memories at some point, right?

"Hey!" Derrek's voice shocked me to a stop. I had just turned around to leave but it seemed he had seen me. He must have been awake this whole time. Did he perhaps remember me?

I wiped away my tears and sniffed before turning around to face him.

"Hi!" I tried to sound cheery but I failed at that.

"Are you looking for someone?" He asked and my heart shattered to pieces, realizing that he hadn't recognized me.

"Yes—I mean, not really." I said, taking a step into the room, an action I took against my better judgment. "I'm a friend of Tosin and Alex's. I was close by, so, they asked me to sit you for a while they stepped out for a moment. They didn't want to left alone." I quickly came up with a believable lie.

"To sit me?" Derrek laughed and I felt my stomach flip at his deep, melodious voice. I never thought I would have heard him laugh again. "Do I look like a five year old?"

"Hardly." I smiled at him and he smiled back.

"Well, you should take a seat then. They might be gone for a while." He gestured towards the white plastic chair next to his bed and I shook my head, declining but he insisted. I shouldn't have been in here. What was I thinking?

"Thanks." I said as I took a seat next to his bed.

"I'm Derrek, by the way." He introduced himself and although I was in pain, I introduced myself as well. "Or have we met before? The doctor says I've lost a year worth of memories, so, I'm sorry if I don't recognize you."

"It's alright. I'm Tiara."

"Have we met?" He repeated his earlier question and I simply nodded my head, not willing to say anymore. What could I have said to him? Should I have told him more lies?

"I'm glad you're alright. You gave everyone quite the scare." I said before he could press on, on the matter.

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I'll try not to get into anymore accidents in the future." He joked with a grin on his face. He looked so relaxed and free. I don't think I had ever seen Derrek this —should I say carefree. Derrek was always easily triggered and he always looked like he had something weighing down on him but right now, he seemed so free and happy even though he was on a hospital bed. It made me smile.

"That would be great, thank you."

"So, what brings you by the hospital? Are you here to see someone?" He asked after a few moments of silence.

"Yeah, my fiancé." I blurted out before I could stop myself. I flinched, realizing what I'd just said. Why had I said that?

"Is he alright?"

"Not really." I shook my head. "He was in an accident and he was hurt really bad." I choked on a sob and immediately cleared my throat, hoping Derrek didn't notice.

"I'm sorry about that." He apologized. "I, too, was in an accident. It's crazy that I don't even remember where I was going or how it happened. I can't even remember how I got to Nigeria." I could tell he was confused. He was trying to remember and that was bad. I should never have come here.

"I'm sorry. I should go." I literally jumped up to my feet.

"Was it something I said? I'm sorry if I offended you." His eyes followed my movement as I backed away from him.

"What? No, no. You didn't. I'm just—I need to check up on my fiancé. He must be awake now and looking for me."

"Alright. That's fine. It was nice to meet you, Tiara." He gave me a small smile but I couldn't bring myself to muster one up for him. I was too tired to.

"Get well soon, okay? A lot of people are worried about you." Was all I said before rushing out the room. I had barely taken a few steps away from his room when I broke down in tears. I placed my hands over my mouth to muffle the sound of my cries. I didn't want him to hear me cry.

"Tiara, are you okay?" I heard Tosin call as footsteps rushed towards me but I paid no attention to her. I was shattered and I still couldn't understand why I was hurting so much.

************************************

I'm so sorry for the late update. Forgive me?