James Whitmore

-2015- Miami, Florida - James

"Whitmore! My office."

I groaned under my breath and grabbed my coffee cup from my desk to make my way to the cap's office. My new partner was supposed to be starting today. At least I hope that's what this is about. I was kinda pissed at Kaleb for transferring to Orlando. But I suppose that's what you're supposed to do when your wife gets a promotion at work. 

I sighed and pulled at my tie, hate this thing with a passion but when I'm in the office it's a requirement. Does it make me a terrible cop if I wish for a murder that needs my attention, just so I can take the damn thing off? Probably. 

I tapped on the door twice before walking in. Cap has an open door policy and unless his secretary stops you before you reach the door, your welcome to walk right on in. I've been working here for three years and I've yet to just walk in without a courtesy knock. Just isn't how I was raised.

"Ah, good. Always prompt," Captain Shawn Blackwood said with a smile. He was a short man who looked like he'd had a few too many donuts. But be was smart and strict. He liked his officers on time and on top of their game. I've never actually heard him raise his voice, but his stern looks seem to be more damaging.

"Detective James Whitmore, I'd like you to meet your new partner," he said nodding to the person I just noticed sitting in the chair in front of his desk. "Detective Danielle Santiago."

I took a quick once over at the back of Danielle's head. Her chocolate hair was pulled tight into a bun in a no-nonsense fashion. From behind she appeared to be just like any other female officer I've met. Then she stood up and turned around and I tripped over my foot pouring hot coffee all down my front.

-2004- Louisville, Kentucky - James

I snatched the bundle of roses that laid on my passenger seat up. God, I was so late. She was gonna kill me. My sneakers squeaked against the linoleum floor as I raced down the school hallway to the auditorium. 

It is my girlfriend's graduation day.

June Pritchett is the love of my life. I know I'm only sixteen but when you know, you know! I shocked the whole football team when I asked out the head cheerleader, who was not only a grade above me but two years older. We've been together since September. She was by my side on Friday nights while the lights beamed down on me and I was by her side when she won Prom Queen last month. 

I skid to a stop in front of the doors and was shocked to see June sitting on the ground.

"Baby, what are you doing out here? Aren't you supposed to be walking across a stage right about now?"

She lifted her head and I dropped to my knees in front of her. The tears streaming down her face felt like a punch to the gut. Roses lay forgotten on the floor as I cupped her cheeks wiping away the trails with my thumbs. 

"June, what the hell is going on?"

"Jamie, I'm pregnant," she said the words so low I almost didn't hear her.

I fell back and landed flat on my ass in shock.

Pregnant.

Shit.

"You're sure?" my voice cracked like a pubescent teen.  

Her nodding head was her only answer. I took a deep breath and ran a hand through my hair, missing my ballcap something serious. She told me it wouldn't be very appropriate for jeans and a ball cap, then made me choose one. Jeans definitely jeans, I'm not a slacks kind of dude.

This wasn't what we planned. She was supposed to go off to the University of Louisville this fall while I finished my last year of high school. Then I'd accept my football scholarship to the University of Tennessee and she would transfer schools.