Child's Innocence

Start from the beginning

"Did he now? Well, I suppose you'll be needing some milk for them." The children nodded enthusiastically.

"And a spoon!" one piped up. "A little one."

"Well, let's see what I can find," Matilda said. She went inside the big tent set up as a hospital for the people recovering inside. It was also being used to store goods and salvaged items from the fire. The children followed her inside, chattering excitedly. Matilda shushed them. They were quiet for all of ten seconds. She gave up and searched for a small spoon. Just as she found one a small voice called out,

"Mama?"

"Yes, Everild?"

"What are you doing?"

"Elstan found a kitten and they're going to feed it," Matilda told her daughter.

"He found three kittens!" The children shouted as one. Matilda laughed.

"Of course, how could I forget. Would you like to come see them, Evy?" she said. Everild nodded. Matilda handed the spoon to a little boy. "Take this to Elstan. There's a pitcher of fresh milk on the table just outside. Don't spill it!" Matilda shouted as the children dashed off. She helped her daughter off the her cot and into the ground. Slowly they walked to where the children were gathered around Illeandir, who was showing them how to feed the kittens. He held the grey one on its back gently in his hand while the other two prowled the ground at his feet. His face was soft and kind as he spoke in low tones. From where she stood, Matilda couldn't understand what he was saying but the children listened with rapt attention. Everild tugged on her arm and let go before pushing her way to the front. Illeandir saw the motion and looked up, smiling when he saw her.

"Come." he said softly. Everild beamed with delight and held her hands out to pet the kitten. Illeandir placed the kitten in her outstretched arms. She hugged the kitten close to her and cuddled it while he fed the others, letting the other children take turns feeding them spoonfuls of milk. When finished they sat around taking turns holding the three cats. Matilda stayed nearby to keep an eye on her daughter. It was then that Illeandir noticed her. The smile faded from his face, replaced by the cold, emotionless look she knew all to well.

"May I help you?" Illeandir asked. Matilda eyed him curiously.

"You are strange, Elstan."

"How so?" Illeandir asked.

"I do not know. That is what is strange."

"There are many strange things in this land. Not all can be explained. What of the sun? You see it every day yet know little about it. Why is its light cold in the winter yet hot in the summer? How does it move across the sky? Or the moon? The stars? Why can they be seen only at night? And the mountains to the north. How does something like that form without the touch of human hands? What causes an apple to fall to the ground instead of floating into the sky? There are many things we do not understand, Matilda, but perhaps it should remain so because the truth would be too much for such fragile creatures to comprehend." Illeandir stopped, it was the longest speech he ever gave. Matilda stood deep in thought for several moments, her mind churning.

"I guess you are right. There is so little of the world we understand yet we think we know everything." She looked to Illeandir for a reply. He said nothing, just gave her a knowing look. They were silent for a long time. "Everild is doing well," Matilda said. Illeandir studied the slight, brown haired girl still holding the grey and white kitten. For a moment his eyes lost their hardness.

"I leave in the morning," he said. Matilda gasped in surprise but quickly composed herself.

"But you've barely just arrived! Besides, your wounds are still healing," she said, confident he would stay now. Illeandir said nothing as he rolled up his sleeve to expose his shoulder. The arrow wound was nearly healed.

"How?" she exclaimed softly, peering closer to make sure it wasn't a trick of the light. Illeandir shrugged and pulled his sleeve down again.

"I have over-stayed my welcome and your daughter is well again," Illeandir said patiently. He knew Matilda did not want him to leave but he had to. The dreams had returned. Dreams that left him paralyzed with unimaginable pain. They all led him to one place, and to a memory he'd long hidden.

"You are welcome to stay. I'm sure we could figure something out," Matilda said but Illeandir was already shaking his head.

"I can't," he said.

"Why not?" Matilda demanded, her bottom lip quivered. Illeandir sensed something was wrong.

"What's wrong, Matilda?" he asked placing both hands on her shoulders and looking her in the eye. She broke down sobbing and buried her face in her hands.

"M-my husband. He's not the same," she stammered, still crying. "Ever since the orcs attacked he's been short tempered and I don't know what to do!" It was several minutes before she was calm enough to speak. Illeandir stood in front of her awkwardly fiddling with the string on his bow. Matilda sniffed. "I try to talk to him but he won't listen. He yells all the time." Tears poured down her face. "I don't know what's wrong!" She started sobbing again.

"He's lost almost everything," Illeandir said.

"He still has us though! His family!" Matilda shouted raising her fist. Illeandir gently placed his hand over hers and lowered it until she relaxed then let go. "He still has Everild," she whispered.

"And he knows that. Give him time to come to his senses. He will see what he has."

"Do you really think so?" Matilda asked, her eyes pleaded with him. Illeandir nodded once and she smiled.

"Thank you," she said.

For what? Illeandir thought.

"Will you say goodbye to everyone?"

"Perhaps a few," Illeandir replied. Matilda smiled.

"Everild will miss you. The children too."

"And I them. The kittens are for her."

"She always loved cats."

"So she told me," Illeandir said. Something in his voice caught Matilda's attention. She looked at him suspiciously.

"What else did she tell you?" she asked. Illeandir didn't respond but the glint in his eyes told her everything.

******************************

I promise the action will be picking up soon for those of you that like action. Myself included. I'm using these chapters to give character to Illeandir and there is also tons of symbolism in these slower chapters that connect other parts of the story and even future books. ;) Let me know what you think and I hope to update soon again.

As always, vote and comment. I enjoy reading your comments. So don't be scared. I don't bite. (Metaphorically speaking)

Yours symbolically and literally,

Illeandir

(Why do I do that? I don't know?! I don't know, Precious!)