The Sorcerer Supreme

Hulk and I landed in New York at the time when Loki rampaged the city. "So, Bleecker Street?" He asked. "Bleecker Street." Hulk smashed, or should I say, dented, a couple of things as we made our way to Bleecker Street. We entered through the roof, and saw a woman fighting to defend her sanctuary.

 "I'd be careful going that way. We just had the floors waxed." She noticed us and turned around. "We're looking for Doctor Strange." Hulk started. "You're about... five years too early. Doctor Stephen Strange is performing surgery about twenty blocks from here. What do you want from him?" She asked. "That." Hulk pointed to the Eye of Agamotto. Yes, I did some research. "Ah. I'm afraid not, then. But what makes you think I will hand it over?" She refused. 

"This." I clenched my fists and green rings appeared around my wrists. She looked at them in surprise. "How? You do not possess the Time Stone." She asked in surprise. "Part of each Infinity Stone is inside me. I can detect their presence and use those powers to my advantage. I used those powers to fight Thanos and we can do it again. All you have to do is give us the Stone." I explained. 

"Ok, lady, we don't have much time here, so-" Hulk advanced and made a swipe at the Eye of Agamotto, but the Sorcerer Supreme hit his stomach and brought out his astral form. "Please help us!" Hulk, or Bruce, pleaded. "I'm sorry, I can't help you, Bruce. If I give up the Time Stone to help your Reality, I'm dooming my own." she refused bluntly. "With all due respect, I'm not sure the science really supports that." Bruce reasoned. The Sorcerer Supreme created a projection which I realised was the flow of time.

"The Infinity Stones create what you experience as the flow of time. Remove one stone and that flow splits." She removed the Time Stone from the line and a black stream emitted from it, "Now, this may benefit your reality, but my new one...not so much. In this new branched Reality, without our chief weapon against the forces of darkness, our world will be overrun. Millions will suffer. So, tell me, Doctor, and young lady, can your science prevent all that?" 

"No, but we can erase it." Bruce said. 

"Because once we are done with the stones, we can return each one to its own timeline at the moment it was taken. So, chronologically," I picked the projection of the Time Stone, "in that reality, it never left." I put it back and the black stream disappeared. "I'm sorry, but I cannot help. The job of the Sorcerer Supreme is to protect the Time Stone." 

"Then why the hell did Strange give it away?" Bruce blurted after he returned to his body.

"He gave it away? Willingly?"

"Yeah. He must have had a reason, though."

"I know the reason." They both turned to me. "I was at the scene at the time. Strange gave it up because my dad's life was at stake. But if he hadn't, and kept it and ran, millions more would've died at his hands just to get it. We are the universe's best and only defenders at the moment, and we need that stone." I finished. 

"Strange is meant to be the best of us. I hope you're right." She opened the Eye of Agamotto and gave me the Time Stone. I thanked her and we returned to the present.