Returning

I'm just doing the story behind it so I can put some backstory in.

"This thing on? Hey, Miss Potts... Pep. If you find this recording, don't post it on social media. It's gonna be a real tear-jerker. I don't know if you're ever going to see these. I don't even know if you're... if you're still... Oh god, I hope so. Today is day 21, uh 22. Oh, I don't know. I'd ask Amber, but I sent her back, as you'd know. She didn't want to leave me here, but I insisted. She wouldn't survive out here. The loss of Peter has hit her hard. You know, if it wasn't for the existential terror of staring into a void of space, I'd say I'm feeling better today. The infection's run its course, Thanks to the blue meanie back there. You'd love her. Very practical. Only a tiny bit sadistic. Some fuel cells were cracked during battle, but we figured out a way to reverse the ion charge to buy ourselves about 48 hours of time. But it's now dead in the water. We're 1000 light years from the nearest 7-11. Oxygen will run out tomorrow. And that'll be it. And Pep, I ... I know I said no more surprises, but I was really hoping to pull off one last one. But it looks like... well you know what it looks like. Don't feel bad about this. I mean, if you grovel for a couple of weeks, and then move on with enormous guilt. I should probably lie down. Please know that... when I drift off, I will think about you. Because it's always you."

~~~~~~~~~

"I couldn't stop him." Stark mumbled as he touched down. "Neither could I." Steve replied. "I lost the kid." "Tony, we lost." "Is, uh..." Pepper Potts came running. "Oh my god. Oh my god, Tony!" She threw her arms round him. "Candlestick?" He asked. "Not doing well. She broke her fiftieth tree last weekend. I sent her to live with Happy for a while, hoping she would calm down in his care." Pepper sighed, rubbing her forehead. "I know how she's feeling. I felt dreadful when I lost the kid. But he meant more to her. They knew each other their whole life." Stark explained. "She'll come around. Soon." Steve assured, joining in the conversation. 

~~~~~~~~~

— Amber's POV —

"I'm sorry, Peter. I really am." I whispered, fingering a photo of me and Peter. A tear slid down my cheek. I looked out at the city, taking a deep breath, trying to push out the tremendous guilt that was cased up inside me. I could've saved him... somehow... but I didn't. And now he is somewhere I can't reach him. I can't live without Peter. I can't. But somehow I am. I felt a sharp pain in my neck and chest, and that's when I knew what the stones tried to tell me. 

Thanos destroyed the stones.

~~~~~~~~

Two days later, I had a vision. Thor had summoned his axe and chopped Thanos's head off. He deserved it, that excuse for a Titan. If it wasn't for him, everything would be ok. If it wasn't for him, Peter would be with me right now. 

~~~~~~~~~~ 

Five Years Later

I was high up in a tree, nailing a plank of wood to make a treehouse for me and Morgan. I was back at home after a refreshing week at Happy's. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Steve, Natasha and Scott. "What do you want from me?" I asked, not turning around. 

"We need your help."

Steve explained the whole thing to me. I felt a sharp pain in my chest. "Right. It's been five years, FIVE YEARS, since the Blip happened. And you come to me now, possibly giving me false hope that there is a chance we could bring everyone back?!" I yelled. "Look. I know you're terribly upset. But we need you right now. Your dad isn't agreeing and the only one who can match his intelligence  and more is you." Nat begged. "Do you know what it feels like to watch someone die, in your arms, and you know you can't do anything about it?! Of course you don't! It's never happened to you before! The person that kept me sane in times like these, is gone! Because of one stupid Titan! Even if you wanted to pull off said 'time heist' I wouldn't agree." I paused, tears rolling down my cheeks, 

"Just- just don't give me false hope."

~~~~~~~~

I was sitting in the air outside, thinking of how Peter and I would sit on the tallest building around and watch the stars. "Kid. Get down here, I have something to show you." I got down from my resting spot and followed Dad into the kitchen. I saw the rendered model of the time travel machine. "You- you rendered it? It's possible?!" I whispered. "It is, candlestick. I think we both have something this is worth fighting for."

"I think we do."