~16~ The Smell of Metal and Incense

Start from the beginning

"What should we start with?"

"I'm gonna find the ledgers see what leads we can find. Since we are not going to be able to knock this place completely out of commission, I want you to scout it out. Look for weak spots and things. Also, see if you can find that nobleman."

"Sounds good. Let's rendevous back at the tunnel."

Sophie watched Maha take a deep breath before taking the stairs down into the red and dark abyss of the Nilfa factory. Maha could handle herself. Sophie knew that. Near the corner of the factory was a dark series of cells, the only glimpse of light being that of blue water, a tank where dark figures swam in their confined tanks. Sophie had a feeling those were the Nilfa that pursued Okoye's men in the first place.

Sophie's fists were clenched as she quickly scanned and searched through the factory. She needed names and numbers, things she can use.

The largest office was in the middle of the factory, elevated above the mass of hell below. That is where she was starting.

She was still in uniform, but the uniform was from the candy factory above, so she did stick out a bit.

Sophie approached the large office, reminding herself not to look down as she slid next to the door and waited. After a few moments of waiting, the door slid open.

The guard was whistling, twirling his key around his finger. Sophie stuck her foot out to stop the door from closing, sliding into the office.

Two guards were sitting in the cushioned seats next to the desk that looked over it all. One of which had an appealing ring of keys at their hip. They both sipped strong black coffee from the candy company mug.

Sophie casually sauntered up behind them, leaning against the heads of their chairs.

"One hell of a week, huh boys?" Sophie sighed.

One of them scoffed, "Yeah, no kidding-" They both froze, slowly turning around and staring up at her.

"Hello there, gentlemen." She smiled. She acted before they could cry out. She wrapped her arm around the neck of the first, ducking underneath the fist of the second in time to snatch them by their wrist. Still holding the first's neck, Sophie took the guard's hand and twisted, kicking their feet out from underneath them and making them hit the floor so hard they were out cold. With a final squeeze, the first guard slumped in her arm, asleep when Sophie let him tumble to the floor.

She kicked aside their bodies and took one of their chairs, huffing as she began to search through the drawers.

Sophie didn't really know what she was looking for. Her brain was drifting as she poked through the documents.

How would someone convert a living being back from Mirthless? Is it even possible?

Where were her Assassins? Could they be subjected to this same fate? There were so many variables that are unchecked and questions without answers. Kynareth breathing down her neck, the safety of her own men compromised, a traitor still scampering around, Leto still sick and mentally unstable, the Ancient Vatarians wanting to return to their homes, Mephala threatening their existence- it was too much. She tried to carry herself with an air of confidence and authority. She wasn't allowed the chance to show her fear.

She remembers when she spent the night at Ruy's apartment, holding him tight as she whispered into his neck her fears, her fingernails cutting into his biceps as she held back her tears. Sophie wanted to be able to do that again, to be able to whimper and run away. But those moments never last, do they? She was always working, always thinking about one thing while another crumbles behind her.