The Golden Girl - Part One

Start from the beginning

"They're beautiful," Jessica gasped and the group smiled in relief, "thank you, so much."

She wanted to burst into tears again, as the more she moved the earrings the more they glowed in her hand and sparked memories, but she took a breath and the memories went away. It was going to be tough, but it was how she was going to have to be if she wanted a new start.

He wanted to move on, and therefore so would she.

"Put them on," demanded Draco as he leant back on the sofa. He had undoubtedly contributed the most towards this. "Let's see it all together."

She obliged and put them on immediately. It was strange to her, but she felt complete when she put them on. Like it was the mask she needed to complete her look for the masquerade. She stood up and walked over to the mirror by the bookshelf and looked at herself to see how they sparkled against her green eyes.

"How do you feel?" asked Blaise after a few seconds.

Jessica tucked her necklace far down her top and adjusted her house tie to a perfect position. She smirked and flipped her hair back to look at the group over her shoulder.

"Like a Slytherin," she answered proudly.

***

The first breakfast in the Great Hall on Monday morning was the real test.

It was the last change, her attitude, that was being put on trial. No new amount of clothes or makeup was going to make a difference if she was unable to finally cut the last string that bounded her with those who wanted to part ways.

The Great Hall was full by the time they arrived, and Jessica led the pack at the front with her head held high and a grin full of confidence. She had never felt more powerful with Draco and Theo by her side, as they effortlessly gave off the confidence that she ever so needed to mimic.

"Ready to stick it to them?" Pansy whispered in her ear. She was more excited than Jessica was.

"Ready," Jessica answered, and her heel made contact with the stone floor as she took her first step.

It was a long walk, as the Inquisitorial Squad now had their own table at the front of the hall near the teacher's table, but as Pansy had told her before they walked in, it was an easy spotlight and a chance to show the whole school that this was who she was now.

Soon enough, the heads started to turn, and Jessica met the wandering eyes with a flirtatious yet prideful smile. It made her feel good, and she could start to see why Pansy was the way she was. It was only two days before that everyone in this room hated her, and though they probably all still did, the whispers that filled the hall showed that even wizards were not immune to jealousy. They couldn't help but talk about her, and being talked about felt surprisingly good when she was in control of the narrative. It was addicting.

When they passed the Gryffindor table where her most unenthusiastic onlookers were sitting, Jessica continued looking forward and ignored them completely. If she down looked towards the red hair currently joking around with the girl she wished to be, the fragile armour of strength she had built around herself would have shattered to the floor. Behind her instead stood Pansy, her new number two, who stopped in front of the table and turned to face the occupants with an evil grin.

"I think this is yours," Pansy stated as she tossed a purple silk scrunchie onto the table so that it landed next to Angelina Johnson's plate. It was the one thing Jessica wanted out of her sight but couldn't force herself to return in person, so she let Pansy have her fun instead. "I think you'll find she doesn't need your hand me downs anymore Johnson."