You are Special!!! (MahiRat)

(A/n: The series, innings, incidents, everything mentioned here is totally fictional ;p)

All of us know how Virat has always said in public about him missing his dad at times. And also we have seen Mahi bhai holding that aura of a fatherly love for Virat (more than two will ever care to admit) and this little filler fic is my take on the same. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It was 18 December, 2008 when the third match of the home ODI series against England was going on. India was chasing a total of 254, which was a not so tough total to chase and with Sachin and Sehwag in full form, it was even more easier. Virat's batting was at number 3 in place of Gambhir who was not playing that particular match due to a slight groin strain.

Sachin and Sehwag had put up a 105-run stand between them and it looked as if they will chase down the total without losing any wickets. The stadium was roaring so much that no one was able to hear each other except for eye contacts.

All of a sudden, Sachin got out to a wonder of a delivery from Anderson. Virat walked out to bat, while going in Sachin gave a pat on his back to boost him. Virat had a short talk with Sehwag, which was basically the typical Viru saying, "Jaha man kare, jisko man kare maar de"

Virat controlled himself from shaking his head and took his strike. Out of nowhere, his eyes fell on the giant LED screen, which was displaying some random advertisement. But Virat's eyes locked on the date.

18th December 2008!!

Virat's mind got distracted for a split second. He realized what had happened 2 years ago on the same date. And that one second was enough for him to mistime the ball. It became a top edge, straight to the fielder. He was caught out on the first ball. A first ball duck!!

Virat mentally cursed himself, as he walked towards the pavilion with his head down not meeting anyone's gaze. He should have played well today specially, but instead he gifted his wicket to the opposition. Everyone gave him sympathetic glances but he couldn't meet anyone's eyes and escaped away.

But he didn't knew is that someone had his eyes fixed on him from the moment he had walked out to the middle. That someone, known as Mahi, was keenly watching Virat and he noticed the shift in Virat's demeanour suddenly. But he didn't have the time to probe further as he had to go out to bat. 

Virat had swiftly made his way into the dressing room, which was empty as the team was sitting in the dugout. The team didn't follow him inside thinking he was upset due to his wicket, so they decided to give him some alone time. He sat on the bench in the room, holding his bat looking very close to tears. 

I miss you so much Papa!

I'm so sorry I didn't play well today

I miss you Papa!! Why did you leave me?

He didn't know for how long he had been sitting there because all of a sudden he heard loud shouts and screams from outside, indicating that they won. He instantly wiped away his tears, and tried to put up a genuine smile as he walked out for the handshake formalities. 

He saw that the whole team was on Mahi bhai who had finished the match. He smiled a small smile at the scene and completed all the formalities.

Mahi noticed how Virat was trying to mask his emotions, as he laughed and smiled with Yuvi and the others. Mahi was 100% sure that something was up.

+++++

When the team reached back to the hotel, Mahi saw Virat rush to his room. Mahi quickly dropped his stuff in his room and raced towards Virat's room. He tried opening it but realised that it was locked on the contrary that Virat never locked his door, because the young boys, namely Rohit and Ishant, and sometimes Mahi himself used to troop into his room anytime of the day. 

This itself had those little alarming bells ringing in Mahi's head. 

Mahi rushed to the team manager and asked for the extra key to Virat's room. The manager handed it over without any ado. The worry written all over Mahi's face was pretty much obvious. Mahi rushed back as fast as possible and unlocked the door. 

The room was completely untouched with all the blackout curtains closed. The only light was the light coming from the corridor. Mahi groped the wall for the switchboard and switched on the lights. He then heard some soft muffled sob sounds coming from the washroom. 

Mahi closed the door and ran towards the washroom. Luckily, the washroom door wasn't locked so he opened it in a jiffy. There he saw Virat sitting below the shower completely dripping wet. Mahi promptly closed the shower and somehow managed to pull him out of the washroom. 

Virat was still in his daze, so Mahi made him change his clothes and dried his hair. Virat was still sobbing like a child. Mahi made him sit on the bed.

He sat beside Virat and gently took him in his arms. Virat clutched into him tight and cried like a baby. Mahi stroked his back and mutter gentle sweet nothings to calm him down. 

"Shhh... Calm down Cheeku, calm down baccha. What happened?? Tell me. Did someone say something to you?", Mahi coaxed Virat, lovingly.

"Pap..a", Virat mumbled and broke down again. 

That's when it struck Mahi, and he felt worse with himself, for not paying attention to today's date. He hugged his miserable little brother close until he stopped crying and then listened to what was actually going on in his troubled mind.

"Bhai, When I was about to take strike, I realised that today was the day... the day.. Papa.. Papa died... He left.... I'm so sorry, I didn't play well today. I don't know what got into me. I know I should have played well. Papa must be so disappointed for failing him like this. I don't deserve to be here. I don't...", he was rambling profusely, when a angry looking Mahi cut him off.

"Stop right there Cheeku. Don't you dare go down that lane. Your father is always proud of you kiddo. And who said that he left? He is right there", he said keeping a hand on the left side of Virat's chest indicating his heart.

Seeing Virat's breath getting normal, he continued tenderly, "You know who was the happiest when you donned the Indian colours?? Of course your Papa. He is always there with you kid, in every step you take, he is there guiding you. You understand?"

Virat just nodded not lifting his head from the hug.

"Cheeku, it's okay. The thought of your father's death will distract you, there is no rocket science in that. I have never met your Papa, but I know one thing that if he was your father then he was the most amazing person just like you! He is watching you kiddo, and he would be so proud to see you today"

Virat broke the hug and looked at Mahi with a tear stricken face and sincere eyes and said, "He is?"

Mahi wiped his tears and said, "Yes kiddo, he is, immensely. You are that special."

Virat hugged Mahi once again and thought How did I get so lucky, Papa? Today Mahi Bhai spoke, but it felt like you spoke to me through Mahi Bhai.

Mahi hugged Virat tighter and kissed the top of his head. They both stayed there until Virat felt okay.

++++++

That night Mahi decided to sleep with Virat, just in case. And he was relieved that he did so, because Virat had a nightmare that very night. He woke up sweating profusely and crying to himself. But Mahi was there for him.

He was there to tell him that it was okay. His father is proud of him and he will always be. Because he is special.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

HAPPY WALA BIRTHDAY TO YOU, KHUSHII!!!!! Khushi2334 😍😍😍 May this year be filled with a lot of joy, new adventures and success for you. You are one of the people I warmed up to online, and such an amazing person you turned out to be! Hope your day was also amazing as your poems and shayaris❤ Love you!!!

I'm sorry to post this exclusively at the end of the day, but I got a bit caught up with the preps of my Computer science practicals, so I got late. But as someone very wise said, "The last wish is special", so maybe this was special for you.

A Mahirat for all those who requested for it!

Love,
Baishali 💖