Part 21

Jack

When I woke up the following day, I was in a blind panic as I couldn't move my left-hand side. Did I injure myself and not realise it? But then I turned my head and I smiled as Ellie was sleeping peacefully. That explains why I can't move, panic over. When did she join me in here? I remember getting up not long after I had sunk into bed and going to the bathroom, but that is the last thing I remember. I'm not complaining though, seeing her, at a peaceful state rather than etched with worry is a far better look on that gorgeous face of hers. I stare for a moment longer and then gently ease her off me and slip out of the bed. I don't even remember covering up last night, that must have been Ellie as well.

I took my tired body away from the bedroom and straight to the bathroom and stripped off and had a shower, brushed my teeth and thankfully I had clothes over the radiator I could change into, so I also got dressed for the day. Don't get me wrong, it is very tempting to crawl back into bed, wrap my arms around Ellie and make us both forget how hard the past few months have been. But there is that warning sign flashing in the back of my brain. Ellie has just come out of an abusive relationship, she doesn't need my advances right now, nor will she likely be thrilled that I am wanting to make advances on her.

Making my way through to the kitchen, I shove the coffee maker on and open up the fridge and groan. I've not done a food shop yet since we have been so busy this week with the run up to the wedding. How the hell can I make Ellie some breakfast if I have hee-haw in? Not a very gracious host, am I? "Morning." I turned around and a very tired and dishevelled Ellie stood before me and fuck, it is a beautiful sight. Ellie living here is going to no good to me when it comes to wanting her.

"Good morning. When did you creep into my bed?" Ellie blushed as she sat on the stool and put her head in her hands and watched me grab the coffee cups.

"Well, after you went to bed, I unpacked some more and I tried to settle in bed, but my mind was a bit like road runner."

"A hundred miles an hour, eh?"

"Yeah. I thought I would check on you and put the throw over you as I thought your room was a little cold and I joined you because when you cuddled up to me in Malta, I felt safe, secure. It was purely for selfish reasons. I apologise." I stopped what I was doing, and I looked at her.

"El...you've been through a lot and if you ever can't settle, my doors always open." I'm really shooting myself in the foot here and I know it, but I can't help wanting her close to me. "Coffee?"

"Please. Just as it is." We both sat and drank our coffees and I stood up and grabbed my keys and my wallet. "Are you going out?"

"Well, unless you plan to starve, I really need to get some food shopping in. Is there anything in particular you would like or want?" Throwing my jacket on and shoving my keys and wallet in my pockets I waited for a response from Ellie.

"Not that I can think of. I can always text you, can't I?"

"You sure can."

"Promise me you're not leaving because I made you uncomfortable creeping into bed with you last night." I can see her inner conflict and I smiled and walked over to her, pulling her in my arms and squeezing her. I kissed the top of her head and smiled.

"I promise. I'm starving and there is bugger all in the house that I want to eat." Besides Ellie, of course.

"Okay. I will head for a shower and I will see you when you get back." I shot her a smile as I left the apartment and headed straight for the car.

I thought our friendship was strong for her to realise that I wouldn't be freaked out that she had slipped into bed with me but then I chastised myself. It will be Ellie's insecurities flaring up and the constant need to question everything that she is doing or has done after everything she has been through. Parking my car in the supermarket car park, switching off the engine, I shook my head and unfastened my seatbelt. There is no way I can pursue Ellie. I need to give her time to heal.