(11) The Queen's Competition

Start from the beginning

"…- if there is a way… to get someone back? From the army?"

He held his breath as he waited for an answer.

"Oh…" Darryl said as a very sad expression formed on his face.
"Do you miss someone?"

Was this a yes? Or a no?

"Two of my siblings. My older brother and my older sister. And my best friend."

"Oh of course I understand this."
Darryl leaned back in his cair, biting his lip as if he was thinking about something.

"Three people… how important are they to you?"

Clay was a bit confused by this question.
"How important they are to me? They mean everything to me! They're my siblings and my best friend who i would consider my non biological brother!"

Darryl nodded slowly.
"How much would you be willing to do for bringing them back from the war front?"

Clay frowned.
"Anything. I would do anything to bring them back. I love them!"

"Anything you say?"
Darryl asked with narrowed eyes.

"Yes, anything. Please tell me, is there a way? What can I do?"

Darryl looked at him piercingly.

Then he sighed.
"As much as I want to help you, I'm afraid it is not in my power as an ROS to decide about the soldiers of the Vilis army."

Clay's heart dropped. A wave of disappointment rushed through his whole body, making him feel numb.

How could he even think Darryl could decide about the army which had nothing to do with the servants of the castle?

He had been hoping for nothing.

He pressed his lips together and stood up, turning to the door.

"Thank you anyways." He quietly said.

"I'm sorry, Clay. But please be focused later and especially tomorrow. The royal family wants everything to be perfect on Prince George's big day."

Soon enough it was afternoon, leaving only a few hours until the candidate for each family was announced.

Every family watched the young girls who wanted to represent them, demonstrate their power and then decided who would participate in the Queen's Competition.

Sometimes Prince George would watch the training sessions, making every girl flustered and caused a lot of awkward accidents.

Whenever he was around, the girls seemed to lose a bit of control over their power while trying to impress him.

Clay could somehow understand the girls- Prince George was very pretty indeed.
Seen completely objectively of course.

From the Aquantura girls only Laricia remained calm and did not let the Prince's presence distract her.

Clay could not help it, he had to admit that Laricia was the best from the Aquantura family and he was sure she would be chosen as a candidate.

So it happened.

To nobody's surprise Laricia was chosen as the candidate for the Aquantura family. The whole evening she was walking around in the rooms of her family group as if she was already chosen to be the next Queen.

Clay felt happy for her but at the same time something inside of him did not like the imagination of Laricia marrying Prince George- but he had no idea why.

Laricia was quite sure that she would win the Queen's Competition which did not seem to be so unrealistic.

Apparently her power was really strong and the Aquantura family was highly respected across the Pretiosi Empire.