FORTY-FOUR

E L I Z A

The early morning breeze was wild against my cheeks and my hair was dancing behind me as Ellie ran through the forest. The trees and the world were a blur as her hoofs thudded and skidded against the woodland floor. Dirt flicking up behind her trail. The golden sun rays gleamed through the forest, the morning approaching peacefully but all I felt was wild adrenaline as I rode my horse through the misty woods.

All I've been doing this half term is sleeping and resting, letting my wound heal and although I would love to spend the rest of my days reading and sleeping, I needed to get out of my room.

I won't allow Noah to control my life and keep me rendered with fear forever.

So at six o'clock this morning, I put on my riding clothes and boots and went down to the stables, greeted my beautiful Ellie and greeted the woods.

I'm not sure how long I have been riding but I'm nowhere near done yet. Ellie was running like she didn't plan on stopping until she reached the end of the earth. And I hoped she didn't because I wanted the feeling of endless freedom to last forever.

I snapped her reins and she picked up speed, sliding round a corner and entering a wild run. I knew this feeling wouldn't last forever, but I wanted it to.

I've been seeing Noah recently. Not really seeing him, at least I hope I'm not. Every now and then, when I look out my window, I'll see him standing in the middle of the field wearing that long, heavy black cloak. Or I'll see him standing by the forest, watching me. I never see him up close, always from a distance.

I feel like I'm going insane.

Which is another reason why I needed to run with Ellie this morning. I need to feel the wild wind in my hair and the cold breeze on my skin. I need the adrenaline and freedom that always came when I rode her.

If my parents knew that I was out here they'd go ballistic.

Suddenly, I tugged on Ellie's reins and she came to a sudden stop somewhere in the middle of the forest. She shook her head and bounced off her front legs, balancing on her back legs for a few seconds. She was annoyed I stopped her but I swear I just saw a cloaked figure standing by a tree.

I should have kept riding but the adrenaline had made me brave. Blinding me from any threats and danger.

"Shh-Shh," I stroked Ellie's side, attempting to calm her down.

I looked up, my eyes glancing around through the trees, searching for him, waiting for him to show himself. Make a move, attack me again.

But no one was there. Whatever I saw was just my mind playing tricks on me. Maybe I have PTSD or something. I should probably go see a therapist.

The sudden silence around me was enough to send a chill slithering up my spine. A snap echoed behind me and I whipped my head in the direction, Ellie turned too and I pulled her reins tighter. And somewhere a couple birds flapped viciously into the sky, screeching as they flew.

I had become overly aware of my surroundings.

I waited a few more moments, and then I snapped Ellie's reins and she picked up a walk back to the stables. I dared look over my shoulder and I swear I could see a figure peeking out from one of the trees.