15 ✧

fun fact of the day: alot of people know this already, but childe's real name (Ajax) comes from the greek mythological hero, Ajax the great, and was taught side by side with the great hero Achilles. He played an important part in the Trojan War. Coincidentally, he had a half-brother named Teucer, who was a skilled archer.

THE TALES OF AJAX AND THE DESCENDANT OF SERENE

CHAPTER 3/4

One evening, the duo sat on the floor of the abyss, a small campfire burning before their eyes, projecting an auburn glow onto their exhausted faces. Through the half-lidded eyes she struggled to keep open, (y/n) spotted Ajax, staring at the fire, appearing to be lost in thought. A drop of sweat appeared at his creased temple, slowly dripping down the side of his face. He took no notice of this.

Earlier that day, they had fought numerous lawachurls and mitachurls, and Ajax, who still failed to realize that being reckless does not mean being a hero, had his injuries looked after by (y/n), who managed to barely get any scratches on herself.

"We make a fantastic team," he laughed, while she bandaged his wound. They were given basic needs by the swordswoman every once in a while, such as food, water and first aid kits, but then they had to stick with it for a couple of weeks.

"You ought to be more vigilant, Ajax."

With a cloth, she gently patted his forehead, where laid a fresh cut. He was put silent by this, the scolding tone she gave him reminded Ajax of his mother. "I'm sorry." Ajax's voice was quiet, even (y/n) barely registered it. She stopped tending to his wounds and took a look at the boy, who avoided eye-contact with her, looking down at the floor in embarrassment. "I'm just taking care of you," she placed her palm on his cheek, feeling the warmth. (y/n)'s intentions were purely by her own will, a gentle soul like hers who could melt away his ice-bound heart.

Ajax didn't have the guts, or was afraid to take the risk of telling her how he wished to be by her side far longer than eternity, to continue their adventures in the real world, but instead he settles with a "Thank you," something he would regret saying in the near future.

"Do you think you'll ever go home?" she asked the boy. He sat in silence for a few seconds, thinking of an answer. "I actually ran away from home because I was bored," Ajax confessed. Well, in the beginning he intended to go search for adventure, much like his father's stories, though this is not what he had in mind.

"You didn't expect to end up here right?"

(y/n) joked, and he responded with a laugh. Her eyes brightened in adoration - how pure and bubbly it ironically suited the boy, who was no stranger to killing. Listening to it made her chest flutter. "Absolutely not, but it was a golden opportunity.. I could almost call it fate," Cracking a lopsided grin, his eyes drifted to hers, catching sight of the way her cheeks were flushed the colour of scarlet, her soft eyes holding his gaze.

"Please Ajax, don't call this fate."

(y/n) cherished the way his eyes were gentle, looking at her with a softness she's never experienced before. They held her close and she was at ease. On the other hand, Ajax felt his face heat up in embarrassment, for he was flustered, being stuck in her bold gaze.

"It's anything but fate."

She murmured, nuzzling her head into his shoulder. Fate was false hope that could be fabricated and destroyed by mankind. What hope was it believing she was destined to meet Ajax? "But before we leave.. can you promise to remember me?" (y/n) asked him. Ah. He completely neglected the fact that when they finish the abyss, they will be sent back to Teyvat. Or so that's what the swordswoman explained to the two. "...I won't forget you. Even if we never meet," His forlorn tone assured her greatly. He grasped her hand carefully, and wrapped his pinky finger around hers.

"You make a pinkie promise, you keep it all your life. You break a pinkie promise, I throw you on the ice. The cold will kill the pinkie that once betrayed your friend, the frost will freeze your tongue off so you never lie again."

"That's a sick rhyme," (y/n) laughed bitterly, before growing quiet. On the other hand, Ajax had to look away, to hide the gleaming smile on his face. The fact this girl made him feel at ease was something new. He found it so adorable, as she dozed off, her lashes pressed against her soft skin, the way her mouth formed a small "o" shape as she inhaled and exhaled.  Why was he pointing out such small details on her face? This feeling.. was it affection?

"Get up."

Startled, Ajax averted his attention to the mysterious swordswoman, who had appeared in front of them, extinguishing their fire. Meanwhile (y/n) felt her presence before she even appeared, and lifted her head of his shoulder, earning a scornful look off the swordswoman.

"You have been in trapped here for almost three months. It's time for you finally prove yourselves to the abyss,"

She commanded the two. "Who are we fighting?"
(y/n) got to her feet, while Ajax stretched out his arms.

"You will be fighting this one,"

Another figure unveiled itself from the shadows of the Abyss, a monstrous beast that was nothing like the monsters Ajax had ever heard of before. The creature was draped in different tones of blue and black, proving its ominous nature. With talon-like armour that had the capability of cleanly slicing him in half. Closing in the duo faster than they could comprehend, Ajax caught a glimpse of (y/n)'s reaction ; She was horror-struck, hardly breathing at all. The moment Ajax saw the look on her face, he knew this would not be an easy victory.

This was truly a monster of the Abyss.