2O

HEY LOVER !

CYNTHIA PULLED UP to Wilbur's apartment, her car packed with boxes and bags filled with her own personal belongings. "Jeez," she mumbled, turning off the car's engine, "hopefully Will's stuff can fit."

She quickly texted Wilbur, letting him know that she was outside, and exited the car. Cynthia waited near the car hood, tapping her sneaker against the asphalt.

It's been a month since Cynthia decided to "clean" her room and the couple finally found an apartment that suited their needs—close to Wilbur's old place, close to his office, and had a reasonable price above its head.

Behind her, a mixture of chatter and light laughter stirred the air. She turned around and saw Wilbur, three or four friends not too far behind, all with boxes. "Oh, shit," Cynthia cursed, catching the attention of her boyfriend and two others, "are you sure that'll fit in my car?"

Wilbur laughed as Cynthia made her way around the car, opening the boot and back door for them. "Hopefully," said Dave with a smile.

While they continued to pack Cynthia's car as Oscar, a tall black-haired guy, pulled her to the side. "I don't think we've got the chance to talk," he started. "Name's Oscar."

Cynthia smiled politely. "I'd introduce myself but—"

"—Wilbur can't stop running his mouth about you," he finished.

She laughed and nodded. "That's one way to put it." Over his shoulder, Cynthia caught Wilbur talking to his mates. Briefly, they met eyes but he smiled before turning away. "Have you and Will been friends for long?"

Oscar shrugged loosely. "Maybe for a few months or two," he explained, "I first met him when I started living here. I'm sure we all did, exceptions of maybe Dave."

"Right, right," said Cynthia, nodding.

They stood awkwardly for a moment or two before Oscar spoke up again. "How's your brother?"

"Oh, y'know," Cynthia said, "successful."

He laughed and nodded. "Of course, of course. Do y—"

Wilbur snaked his way around Oscar and slid next to Cynthia, linking her hand with his. "Oh! Are you two leaving now?" Oscar asked.

"Mhm," hummed Wilbur. "The new place isn't too far from here so," he gestured vaguely with his free hand, "you can visit or tell the others to come over and practice if you want."

Cynthia raised an eyebrow. "Practice?"

"Oh, right," said Oscar. "They've kinda got a secret band," he explained.

Wilbur nodded, silently confirming this. "It's been a thing."

She squinted at him skeptically. "Did you just quote me?"