11

WINE BOTTLES !

DESPITE WILBUR PROMISING Cynthia that he'd call her back, she hasn't received a single call from him after two days have passed.

She checked in with his friend Dave and confirmed that he was alright, which took Cynthia's confusion, and worry, to another level.

It was later in the night, maybe around midnight, and Cynthia was playing Minecraft, practicing her building with a simple town square. Her head bobbed as she listened to the guitar lofi track playing in her earphones while filling in the pavement leading up to the centre water fountain.

Briefly, her music dampened and the Discord notification sound rung. Cynthia raised an eyebrow and realised she received a private message from Ph1LzA.

@Ph1LzA - online AKA mr minecraft, dadza, phil
———

thanks phil
i'll keep that in mind

Ph1LzA Yesterday at 12:54
no prob

— August 30th, 2020 —

Ph1LzA Today at 0:37
cynthia
can you please call will
he's so drunk and ignoring my calls

cynthiasm Today at 0:38
oh crap
yes i will

Ph1LzA Today at 0:38
thanks mate

Cynthia fumbled for her phone, removing her hands from her keyboard and scrolling through her contacts, trying to find Wilbur's.

His name caught her eye and she tapped it with her thumb, quickly ringing him up. After the third ring, she thought he wouldn't pick up, but he did.

And oh hell, he was drunk.

"Cynthia? What are you calling for?" He asked, words slurring together to the point where she could barely decipher them apart.

"Will," she said sternly, "how much have you drunk?"

Wilbur stayed silent, but the clink of a bottle hitting a desk could be heard in the background. "Not much," he lied.

"Quit lying, tell me the truth."

"Not much," Wilbur repeated tonelessly. "Who told you to call me? I bet it was Phil, wasn't it?" He asked, sounding bitter.

Cynthia was taken aback by his sudden behavior change and tugged anxiously at her headphone cord. "What if it was? Why are you drinking in the first place? Will—" She stopped and bit her own tongue. "Just tell me what's up. Please."

The worry quivering through each word made Wilbur's harsh persona crack.

Though, not fully.

"You've been distant," she admitted, trying to get a better understanding of the situation. "Can you tell me why?" Cynthia asked softly.