14

BITTERSWEET !

— author's note! i know wilbur said that his birthday isn't on september 14th but for this birthday chapter, it'll be set on that date! happy reading :]

IT'S BEEN A week and a half since Wilbur's window visit to Cynthia's house. Tommy mentioned that Wilbur's birthday was coming up so she was on her way to his house. Her brain nagged about how she's visiting once again.

Cynthia glanced at the small bag sitting in the passenger seat, neatly wrapped with a box sitting inside of it. She tapped the steering wheel anxiously and ignored the lingering thoughts floating in her head.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Cynthia pulled up to Wilbur's house at around four in the afternoon and exited the car. She grabbed the small bag and pulled out her phone, filming a small clip before heading up the pavement.

She knocked on the door a few times and waited, looking downward and tapping her feet together. Then, someone opened the door.

"Cynthia?"

The blonde-haired woman looked up and smiled, holding up the bag. "Happy birthday, Wilbur Soot. I've brought a present."

!

"YOU DIDN'T HAVE to come," Wilbur said while he watched Cynthia take off her boots and gingerly hand him the gift.

"Oh, but I did," she said, a small smile still plastered on her face. "Just to show you that I know how to use a door," Cynthia joked, looking at Wilbur with a smug look.

He just scoffed and made a gesture for her to follow him, which she did. They walked to his room and Wilbur held up the bag. "Am I allowed to open it?"

"Not yet," she replied and walked in after Wilbur. "I was thinking we'd go to the beach, seeing as that's sort-of the first place we met."

Wilbur raised an eyebrow and shrugged. "Fine with me."

Cynthia sat politely at the edge of his bed and watched him bounce from room corner to room corner. "Is something up?" she asked, "Oh, did you have plans with your friends. Shit, I'm sor—"

"No, no," Wilbur interrupted, shaking his head and sitting down at his desk. "I just didn't expect you to be over. My birthday's not entirely a big thing so," he waved an anxious hand. "It's just nice to see you again."

Cynthia smiled and nodded. "Right back at you, Soot."

He raised an eyebrow. "Really? That again?"