Chapter 18

~Christmas Eve Part 1~

Briar Flynn

I was honestly a miracle worker.

So much so that I surprised even myself.

Quinn sat on a chair in front of me as I straightened then curled her hair. She was mostly quiet which I just summed up to her dreading the night to come. Apollo was sat on my bed a few feet away his eyes shut and his breathing steady.

I smiled at the peaceful look on his face. There weren't many moments that Apollo wasn't worrying about something. Seeing all the tension leaving his body when he slept always helped put my own mind at ease.

"I'm so happy for you B" Quinn suddenly said, noticing my stare.

My face reddened but I just squeezed her shoulder. "It never would've happened without your constant pestering"

She smirked to herself in victory, "You guys didn't shag on the train yesterday right?"

My mouth dropped open and this time I smacked her shoulder instead, "Are you crazy? The first time we do it will not be on a train!" I exclaimed

"Do you want to do it with him?" She asked.

No judgement.

Just curiosity.

I shrugged and applied some blush to her cheeks. "Of course I do. I just don't know if he wants to. He's gone through too much for me to push him to do it"

Quinn nodded in agreement, seeming to be in deep thought.

There had been moments when Apollo and I were close to doing it. When we were in his dorm and no one else was in there and we got a little too intense. But every time he pulled back and claimed he was tired or had something to do.

"What about you?" I prodded, "We haven't really talked in so long. I don't even know if you have your eye on anyone"

An unseen emotion flashed in her eyes before she covered it up with a smile, "Not really. After Adrian I've decided to take a break from all of the dating stuff for now"

I nodded, choosing not to investigate that look any further. I continued to work my magic by doing her hair and makeup for the next two hours.

"Briar it's 7:50. I have to change!" Quinn laughed as I put the finished touches on her makeup.

"Okay okay fine you're done. Go change." I said rolling my eyes at her.

She rose her eyebrows, but obeyed nonetheless and grabbed the stunning dress that Lorenzo bought, before going into the bathroom. Apollo was now awake and waiting from beside me on the bed, his hand running idly through my hair. I tried not to smile at his obvious affection but any time he was around it was more than difficult.

"Are you sad Quinn is going to miss Christmas Eve dinner?" He asked, resting his head on my shoulder.

"Yeah I was kind of hoping she would be there to break the tension after I tell my parents that we are dating." I laughed.

My parents had always been very chill about my life. It mainly started when I was 8 and accidentally made my birthday cake explode. Once they figured out I was a witch, they were surprised but excited to let me live out a life that they hadn't. I knew that they wouldn't be opposed to me dating Apollo at all, but I was still anxious.

"Okay losers, I'm ready." Quinn called out through the bathroom door.

Apollo snorted at the same time as me. "Show us" I yelled.

A moment passed before the door opened and she stepped out. Even my breath caught in my chest. Stunning wasn't the right word to describe her right now. Her hair was curled and put up in a low bun hairstyle with a few curls framing her face, a small gold chain hung from her neck accentuating her collar bone (my idea), and the dress was just the perfect mixture of classy and sexy. If Lorenzo wanted a prize for the night then he had picked the right girl.

"You are not leaving this house" Apollo said from behind me.

I smacked him away and ran over to my best friend. "You look amazing. You better charm those snob's socks off tonight. We need you to have a good broom."

Quinn laughed and slipped on her heels, "With any luck, I'll walk out of that place only telling one person off"

"My bet was five" I shrugged

"Mine was 8" Apollo butted in from behind us.

The doorbell suddenly rung and my eyes shot up to the clock on the wall. It was five past eight. "Apollo and I will go get it. Finish getting your bag and everything" I said, grabbing Apollo's hand and dragging him down the stairs.

Once we reached the door, I put on my best fake smile before swinging it open. I blinked at Lorenzo standing in front of me. He may be a sick jerk, but he also knew how to clean up. There was a reason that every girl in the damned school was after him. Too bad that pretty face had such a bad personality, or I'd say that he and Quinn would make an unstoppable couple.

"She's coming" I only said inviting him to come in.

He nodded and looked around the foyer in bewilderment. "Have you never been in a muggle house before?" I asked

Shaking his head, he adjusted his blazer and ran his hands through his hair. "No. I suppose I haven't"

"What are your intentions with Quinn tonight?" Apollo suddenly said, not even trying to hide the threat in his tone.

Lorenzo rose one eyebrow, "Take her to the ball, maybe insult her a few times, then probably drop her off in a ditch somewhere. Why?"

I guess Apollo didn't find Lorenzo's joke to be that funny because he took a step forward.

"Woah calm down there grandpa. We both know that Lorenzo is too snobby to go anywhere near a ditch" Quinn's voice suddenly sounded from the top of the stairs.

Everyone stopped talking. I smiled to myself in victory as she walked down the steps looking like literal royalty. My eyes darted over to Lorenzo to see his lips parted slightly, desire obvious in his eyes.

Interesting.

As soon as I saw the desire though, it was replaced with cool uninterest. "You're going to make us late" He grumbled.

Quinn only rolled her eyes and flipped him off. "It's not like anyone will be awaiting your arrival"

"Believe it or not Princess, there are a lot of people who will be very disappointed if I don't show up."

She gave him an unbelieving once over before turning to me and Apollo. "I'll see you both later tonight alright?"

I nodded and pulled her in for a hug. "Don't cause too much trouble"

"I can't promise anything"

Lorenzo only rolled his eyes at that and walked out the door, Quinn hot on his heels. Once the door shut behind me I let out a sigh.

Weird pair, those two.

"What now?" Apollo asked

I spun around to face him. "Now, I have to go get ready for dinner which is in 15 minutes so go scurry off somewhere"

He just smirked and gave me a quick kiss before walking in the direction of his room that he wasn't even using due to staying in mine.

This was gonna be a long night.

What did you think?