Chapter 14

~Recovery~

~Recovery~

Briar Flynn

Lorenzo left the moment that he dropped Quinn off in the hospital wing. It almost seemed like he couldn't stand to be in there any longer. The nature of those two's relationship never failed to confuse the hell out of me.

It had been 6 hours since he left it now being almost midnight and both of my best friends were still unconscious. Madame Pomfrey had gone to sleep, telling me to get her if anything went bad. Apollo didn't need nearly as much attending to as Quinn did. I guess whatever curse the imposter used on his wasn't too harmful.

My eyes shot over to Quinn who was laying on the other side of the wing. Madame Pomfrey said she wouldn't wake up for a while, so I decided to sit by Apollo to be there when he wakes up. That thought scared me the most though.

If Apollo was taken the night after we kissed, then what did that mean about his feelings for me?

That question alone had me nervously tapping my feet while waiting for him to wake up. It also didn't help that every time I thought about Quinn my mind went to the moment when I found her in Apollo's dorm.

Even seeing it in my memories made me shiver. I saw the moment that she gave up. I saw her looking at something in the corner of the room that was only visible to her. My best friend was so close to death that if I came up a moment later, she would be gone.

For some reason my mind wandered to what Lorenzo's reaction to that would be. I've always found it interesting to watch as he insulted her constantly but when anyone else even looks at her funny,he made sure they regretted it. I've always thought the two needed each other a little more than they let on. Another shiver worked its way up my spine at the thought of what he and Apollo would do if she didn't make it.

I was so caught up in my thoughts that when Apollo jerked awake, I yelped and almost fell off my chair. His head shot around rapidly in the dark room trying to find any danger.

"Hey, hey, hey" I said regaining my composure and placing my hand on his arm.

He jolted at the contact before he realized who I was. "Where's Quinn? Is she okay?" He asked the moonlight illuminating his eyes enough to show me the gut wrenching fear there.

"She's over there. She's going to be fine. Everyone's fine." I reassured pointing across the room to Quinn's sleeping figure.

Apollo didn't look convinced but slumped slightly in relief. "And where is he at? Did he get away?"

I shook my head, not stepping closer to him but also not backing up. "No. Dumbledore took care of him. Apparently his name was Caelum Barastel and he worked for a group of dark wizards that want Quinn out of the picture."

He ran his hands over his face at my words, "I thought that all of that was over" He whispered his hands shaking slightly.

The thought of what would come next, or who would come next to hurt my best friend made my stomach turn. She's already lost a mother to these people. Who else were they willing to get rid of in order to get to her?