She felt Caleb give her a slight nudge with his arm, signaling for her to intervene and save poor James.

"How are you this evening, Gabriella?" Lainey asked, making sure she enunciated the name loudly for her stupid brother.

"Gabby!" James practically screamed, making everyone jump.

"Pierce, Caleb, this is Gabby." James said confidently, causing Lainey to have to physically stop her eyes from rolling.

Gabby extended her long slender arm toward Pierce and Caleb for an unnecessary handshake as she eyed them and Lainey got the smallest hint of satisfaction in the way Gabby drooled over Caleb.

Yes, he's yummy, and no, he doesn't want you.

Caleb shook Gabby's hand with his right and subtly placed his other hand on the small of Lainey's back as a reaffirming gesture that was endearing, but not needed.

Such a sweet show of faithfulness, but I'm not threatened in the least.

Lainey knew her worth and was confident in the growing feelings between them, not only that, but other women wanting Caleb made her beam with pride instead of coil with jealousy. Caleb didn't have eyes for any woman but her and made that abundantly clear.

The lights flickered then dimmed, indicating that the auction was about to begin. Lainey, James, and now Gabby made their way toward the tables and stage, but she watched as James and Gabby disappeared around the corner and elbowed Caleb who let out a chuckle and shook his head at her brother's antics. Pierce had a grin smeared across his face as he followed behind obviously tasked as the lookout while James and Gabby had some fun.

Caleb found a place for them to stand beside the stage and stood with his back against the wall and Lainey standing in front of him, slightly offset to the side. The overhead lights went out as the stage lights illuminated several expensive items that were being wheeled out onto the stage. As the auction started, Lainey kept her eyes on the stage and the small illuminated paddles of the bidders, but had all of her senses focused on Caleb who was standing behind her left shoulder.

Taking advantage of the darkness that surrounded them, she felt Caleb take his knuckle and lightly drag it down her exposed back, starting at her shoulder blades and continuing down to the small of her back. She sucked in a quick breath as she lifted her chin and arched her shoulders back at the intoxicating sensation that sent shivers over her entire body.

With a thick swallow she remained completely still and felt his rough palm lay flush with the exposed skin on the small of her back before he slipped the tips of his fingers beneath the fabric and left them there. He didn't move, didn't explore or risk making her squirm, he simply kept his palm flat against her skin, letting his thumb rub back and forth with only the tips of his fingers underneath the fabric edges of her dress. It was affectionate and intimate and Lainey's chest pumped wildly with quick breaths as she tried to anticipate where she'd feel his touch next.

He pulled her body toward him until she was standing directly in front of him with her back against his chest and leaned down close to her ear.

"Deep breaths Lainey girl, wouldn't want to give away our secret." he whispered against her ear, causing her eyes to close briefly as his warm breath danced around her ear and down the side of her neck.

Following his instructions, she focused on her breathing and slowed it down to a normal pace, hoping to conceal the excitement and arousal she felt for the gorgeous man standing behind her.

They stood that way for the duration of the auction, exchanging flirty glances and light touches until the lights came on and they were forced to create some space between them.