interlude: wooyoung's past

since this is a chapter about wooyoung's past, there will be mentions of: DEATH, CHEATING, KILLING, GUN SHOTS, KNIFE, INJURY AND BLOOD. proceed with caution (i'll put warnings in front of each individual part.

(i understand that cheating might not be an as sensitive topic as the other topics, but it does make me extra uncomfortable just thinking of it. so i'll put a warning for cheating as well just in case there are other people like me)

ELEVEN YEARS AGO. BUSAN, SOUTH KOREA.

SIX YEARS OLD.

"mom, dad, why are we here?" little wooyoung tugged on the end of his mother's dress. he was standing in the middle of a large warehouse with his parents on either side of him. wooyoung was obviously wary; there were weapons everywhere around the warehouse. there were also a few targets along the left wall and a medium sized podium in the middle of the warehouse.

soojin knelt down to her son and gave him the biggest smile, "well, wooyoungie, you know what mom and dad does. we were just thinking of adding you into the line of work as well!"

wooyoung frowned, "b-but, mom, you two k-kill people. i don't think i'm r-ready for that yet." wooyoung looked down, fearing that his parents might scold him for his immaturity. 

soojin and baekyoung looked at each other. soojin nodded and baekyoung lifted his son up, smiling widely at him, "hey, woo. hey, look at us." — wooyoung did, and his dad quickly wiped away the two stray tears that escaped wooyoung's eyes — "it's fine if you're not ready. but, let dad tell you a harsh truth. will that be alright with you?"

wooyoung thought of shaking his head. his six years old mind couldn't comprehend the harshness of his world. he knew how harsh it is, he just didn't want to acknowledge it. but by the tone of his dad's voice, it's almost like wooyoung had to accept it sooner or later. and so, wooyoung nodded. 

soojin smiled and gave a little squeeze on wooyoung's forearm, "you're so brave, woo. i'm so proud of you." 

baekyoung kissed his son's forehead, "yeah, i agree with your mom. it's not easy to be accepting whatever reality we live in at such at young age. anyways, woo, as much as the two of us hate it, we have to kill to survive. we receive large amounts of money from our clients and therefore we're able to feed you, give you a house to live in, give you an education and also to give you gifts. wooyoung-ah," baekyoung sighed, "not every one of us have the privilege. about 85% of the entire population begs on the streets and are homeless. we are the lucky bunch, especially when both your mom and i aren't born from the riches. 

"we want you to become an assassin too so that you can own your own money and survive on your own if your mom and i leaves early on. we will still be here, don't worry, but just in case we do leave you all of a sudden, you'll be able to carry on by yourself."

it took quite some time for wooyoung to process what his dad just told him. wooyoung's eyes casted down and muttered, "okay."

soojin and baekyoung's face lit up. soojin pressed a long kiss on her son's temple, "oh my gosh, you're so brave, woo, so, so brave."

wooyoung looked at his mom and then at his dad, "really?"

baekyoung chuckled and nodded, "yes, tiger. now, come on. let's start training you to be the best assassin in korea!"

"best assassin in korea!" wooyoung chanted back, punching his fist into the air, making his parents burst into laughter.

⚠️ FOLLOWING PARAGRAPHS INCLUDES MENTIONS OF GUN AND GUN SHOTS. PLEASE PROCEED WITH CAUTION! ⚠️