Chapter 8

Ye Shu had a dream.

The sky in his dreams was overcast and it had been raining for days on end. He was holding in his arms a young man who was even skinnier and smaller than he was.

Drops of water seeping through the roof formed puddles on the ground. Outside the window, lightning flashed and thunder rumbled, the young man in his arms trembling with each sound.

"So timid ah."

With a smile, Ye Shu gently rubbed the young man's cold fingers and cheeks. "A-Yuan will be the emperor in the future. There is no emperor in this world who is afraid of are sonant sound like thunder."

The young man looked up, showing a pair of bright eyes. "...Can't the emperor have something he is afraid of?"

"He shouldn't," Ye Shu said. "As a ruler, you ought to be strong yourself in order to make your state strong and make everyone acknowledge allegiance to your regime. Any hint of timidity and fear on your part could turn into a fatal weakness."

The young man looked at Ye Shu in a daze. A sudden clap of thunder exploded in the horizon, and the young man recoiled and shrank back.

"Then...I'll be afraid of this for once," the young man gripped Ye Shu's clothes, and with a vague voice added, "for once and for all."

Ye Shu smiled and hugged the young man tightly.

The scene changed as the clouds parted to reveal the sunrise.

Ye Shu reclined against the railing of the nine-curved winding corridor, drowsiness creeping over him due to the warm sunlight.

"I'm so busy with that crappy enthronement ceremony, but you're actually doing well, hiding here at your leisure." The cold voice of a young man rang out. Ye Shu squinted his eyes and looked at the figure coming towards him from afar.

The young man was tall and upright, and despite a frown marring his handsome brow, he was still quite easy on the eyes.

Ye Shu grinned. "Calling the enthronement ceremony a crappy affair, beware of being heard by those old fools."

The young man didn't answer and walked slowly to Ye Shu's side.

"Earlier I asked you what position you wanted," the young man stood beside Ye Shu, his tall figure blocking most of the sunlight. "Have you thought about it?"

Ye Shu retorted, "Anything for real?"

"A ruler never goes back on his word."

Ye Shu was silent for some time.

Heaven knows what he thought about in this silence, but after a long time, he softly said, "There is a vacant position for the left prime minister pending in the court. Is Your Majesty willing to bestow it to me?"

A hint of surprise thrilled through the young man's eyes.

In a moment, the young man beamed. "Of course. I'm willing."

Through the bright red walls of the palace, the two walked onwards side by side.

"I thought you'd ask for a

noble title with which you could also enjoy living in ease and leisure."

"Who let me be a toiler," Ye Shu hooked the young man's neck, his eyes smiling. "I have to help my ruler unify the whole state ah."

"You said it. It's a deal."

"Mnn, it's a deal."