𝟡

The Doctor stood outside your door nervously.
The date, December 25th, 1952.
Almost exactly 10 years to the day he left you with Dean.
He couldn't help the nerves rattling both of his hearts, would you still be angry with him for leaving?
It was the only choice he could make, when the time war began and you were still traveling with him, even thinking back to it now a ping of guilt shot through his hearts, he was so deeply in love with you, the only choice he could make to save you was to loose you.
He raised his fist and gently tapped the door, turning back to the TARDIS he parked at the end of the street, the light on top shone a little brighter, sending him more encouragement.
When Dean answered the door, his face turned pale before quickly changing to excitement, pulling the man who changed his life for the better into a tight hug.
"Where's y/n?"
The doctor asked as he walked inside, setting his coat on the hook.
"She had to get something from the store, she should be back any second now"
Coming into the living room, the doctor smiled at the Christmas tree decorated in the corner. He didn't mean to look so remorseful but Dean caught onto him quickly.
"She's not angry with you, first 3 years she was here, she never stopped waiting"
The Doctor nodded, the pain only getting worse as he the image of her flashed in his mind, waiting for him to come back.
The sounds of little feet pattering down the steps distracted both the men, Dean stepping out into the hallway before reappearing with a small toddler in his arms.
"Sorry about him, he always gets excited around Christmas"
"He's not excited about Christmas, he's more concerned about the strange man in his living room and where mom is"
The Doctor corrected him, Dean tried to comprehend anything he just said, before dismissing it in his mind.
The doctor continued to look at the pictures on the walls, whilst Dean was upstairs, he heard the lock jiggle before it swung up and your voice called out to Dean
"Honey! Could you-"
You stopped speaking the moment your eyes landed on the Doctor in your hallway.
"Oh my god, oh my god"
Your voice changed from shocked to happy, dropping your bag and running to envelope the Doctor in a hug.
"What, what are you doing back? I thought I'd never see you again"
Nothing about you had changed, maybe your hair was a little grayer around the roots, and you looked more tired but the vibrancy in your e/c eyes still stood out.
"I wanted to check in, make sure everything was okay"
"Everything's great, im sure you've met little Jack"
Seeing the new doctor was strange but he had the same look in his eyes, childlike but still remorseful.
"Well, I won't keep you, enjoy your Christmas"
"Ah- wait a minute Doctor, you're not going anywhere. It's been ten years for me, and a whole regeneration for you, you've got some talking to do"
Pulling him into the kitchen, Dean followed behind you already grabbing some leftovers for the doctor.
"Do you really want me to stay?"
"Of course, you're still my best friend, and we'll always have our Christmas's"
The doctor pulled you into a hug, hiding the tears in his eyes, some of the guilt left his hearts in that moment, and he remembered again why he's the Doctor.